Internet Explorer 7 without Add-Ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

raybay

We are seeing large numbers of users who can no longer use Add-Ons in Internet Explorer 7.0... which means they cannot download and install Microsoft software that requires ActiveX OK. The problems we are seeing most often appear in Windows XP Professional
The fixes posted by Microsoft too often do not work.
Nearly all of these problems seem to have appeared on computers using Firefox or other alternate Internet software.
Is anyone else seeing this problem. Does anybody have a fix that allows the user to return to the normal version of Internet Explorer 7.0 that allows Add-Ons and the selection of ActiveX on Microsoft Downloads?

While this may have absolutely no bearing on this issue, I have noted that this site http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F1D529106C8&displaylang=en&displaylang=en (bottom of the page) lists 3 download KB's, only one of which I have.

I had a bit of a problem with add-ons a while back and simply removed IE7 then rebooted and re-installed it and got my updates right after that.

If I check MS$ updates, those 2 KB's do not list for download.

Strange?

edit: it appears the last one, KB917425, is for XP SP2 and the issue is fixed in SP3. An Active X fix.

Will check that link. Thanks.

We have found that most users with the problem have Service Pack 3. SP-3 does NOT allow the removal and re-install of Internet Explorer 7.0. Reinstalling it by over-writing the new install over the old one does not change the problem.

Well, I have XP Pro with SP3 and IE7 and I just Removed IE7 and IE6 is what's runing now.

Ok. Good. My clients cannot remove Internet Explorer 7 with Add and Remove. I cannot remove Internet Explorer with Add and Remove. Perhaps that is part of the problem that causes this error. Microsoft said to reinstall Internet Explorer 7.0 and that would remove the previous install and all an uninstall. That did not work.
I fixed mine by removal, but here was what was required: A. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER. B. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. C. Right-click the Internet Explorer key, click New, and then click DWORD value. D.Type InstalledByUser as the name, and then press ENTER to finish creating the new registry value. E. Then try to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 again.
Sometimes works. Sometimes doesn't work.
Also, Uninstalling Service Pack 3 works, if you know how to do that.
But when I used the Internet Explorer 6.1 install disk, that finally worked after the above.
However when we reinstalled Internet Explorer 7, we were back to the same problem... so you should not again use IE 7.0
On my call to Microsoft, I was told that we could "...expect an update to correct the problem..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back