Internet Explorer 9 RC passes 2 million downloads

Emil

Staff

Microsoft pushed out Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate in 40 languages less than a week ago. The company has just announced that the build has already been downloaded 2 million times.

Separate to this, Microsoft this week started offering the IE9 RC to IE9 Beta users via Windows Update's (WU) Automatic Update (AU) feature. Microsoft will likely do the same once it releases the final version of IE9.

For those that want to keep AU enabled, the software giant is offering Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 9 on the Microsoft Download Center. This is for corporate environment where the IT department wants to delay the introduction of a new browser until they have fully tested its compatibility with internal applications and sites.

"Early testers are already experiencing the beauty of the web across their favorite websites – and enjoying one-click access to a site-centric browsing experience by pinning their sites directly to their Windows 7 taskbar," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "We're encouraged by this early response and urge you to download IE9 RC today and let us know your thoughts!"

Permalink to story.

I have been using IE9 since the beta and the RC is even better :). I had a few problems before and now I have none :). I use the 64bit version with the 64 edition of flash, I like the way things are going. My only wish is that they would bring sliverlight 64bit out, currently I'm having to switch to the IE9 32bit, but not a big problem.

It is the first good browser from MS (never liked old incarnations of it anyway) and since I installed its preview and now RC, I've simply relegated Opera to the dustbin of history, and made it my second preferred browser behind FF.

For everyone using the latest Flash with it, be careful, I read on another website that it has performance issues.

If this was a post for a new rc version of Safari on this site it would no doubt be titled

"Safari 5 RC only 2 million downloads"

If your looking for balanced coverage of anything you may need to look elsewhere.

IE9 got so many downloads because each person had to download it about 2 or three times. I believe that takes it down to a million or less. I downloaded IE9 64 bit and I could not get it to run. Contacted support and they told me to got back to IE8. Go figure there tech support. In other words it is just not worth the trouble.

Guest said:
If this was a post for a new rc version of Safari on this site it would no doubt be titled

"Safari 5 RC only 2 million downloads"

If your looking for balanced coverage of anything you may need to look elsewhere.

1. Nobody cares about Safari.
2. In case you haven't noticed, IE9 is a big deal and it is something to get excited about. I've read about Mac users wanting to get in on your Macs. I don't know of any Windows users who would bother with Safari.
3. The title is unbiased. If it were biased, it would read something like "Internet Explorer 9 RC *already* passes 2 million downloads."
4. Get outa here troll.

he he, now we need to know how many people uninstalled it this first week..

I couldn't get it to run either. The background was black as well as most of the type.

Why are you all talking about the people who uninstalled it? IE9 is a great browser, much better than what IE8 was. It might not be as good as the Fox, but I can tell you this: so far, on my 64-bit machine, I can hardly see any difference regarding page load. Which is, marginally, the most important thing to the end user. Which means most people didn't uninstall it, despite any other significant differences between IE and other browsers.

Just admit that there are people who love will IE regardless, just like there are people who will love Apple. It doesn't get any clearer than that analogy.

Why on earth anyone would bother with Microsoft browser baloney this late in the game is beyond me.

Chrome and Firefox 4 so clearly blow it out of the water and have done so for years. They are also OS agnostic so you can have the same better-than-ie experience regardless of which OS you are on.

Clearly many of the contributors here are either out-to-lunch or forced to live in a Microsoft-only world. How depressing for them.

IE9 got so many downloads because each person had to download it about 2 or three times. I believe that takes it down to a million or less. I downloaded IE9 64 bit and I could not get it to run. Contacted support and they told me to got back to IE8. Go figure there tech support. In other words it is just not worth the trouble.

Not sure what you are talking about, I've put IE9 RC on about two dozen machines so far without one single hitch. Now if you are missing some 'required' updates as such it is another issue. Beside this, you need to remember its a 'Release Candidate' and I don't know anyone who'd consider RC as 'stable' build of a software.

Clearly many of the contributors here are either out-to-lunch or forced to live in a Microsoft-only world. How depressing for them.

Another disgustingly s***** argument from another troll. I believe most of such comments are made by people who either haven't tried it or just biased to start with; hence, they simply loose objectiveness in whatever they are saying.

I have always hated IE, it was slow dumb and simply painful with its crashing, then I came to techspot one day and thought i'd try the Beta out, now I am impressed :) Microsoft haven't just done a "good" job, they have done an excellent job! and the RC removes alot of the crashing and issues I had with the Beta, its even a tad quicker! very nice Microsoft :) although I still use FF as my primary Browser, this now comes second in command, which IE never has before :)

Emil said:
3dcgmodeler said:
I wish i could run it on Windows XP Professional 64 bit

:)
You should upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit already.

I did the Win 7 thing, 1. Win 7 to bloated on my workstation, slowed my 3D apps way down, when I would do a Network Render Animation using the Network Render It would corrupt my Image Sequence and restart my computer, and I would loose a day of renders...

After rebooting to Win XP Pro64, problems solved.

Deleted the Win 7 Partition...
Maybe WIn 8 will be better
I will stick with what works good
Win 7 has to many Bugs still....

Mike

Glad that ms FINALLY were forced to come to bat with a browser that follows standards and isn't a security nightmare.

Arguably the only reason to care is that noobs and pebcaks who buy into a Windows box preinstalled with IE without the wherewithal to upgrade to a free better browser were tying web designers into having to go through endless hoops to support a highly non-compliant browser.

The sad part is that if we again allow MS a controlling stake in the browser market than in time we will likely be back where we started.

Learn from history. MS does not play well with others unless there backs are against the wall.

Embrace this new browser at our own peril!

I made what looks like an anti-ms comment. Likely the zealots on this site will label me a troll with no reasonable reply as they seem to like to do with anything anti-ms. Makes one wonder who they work for.

Back