Internet functions fail but still connected

Hello! I've been having a strange and extremely annoying issue on my PC. I believe it is an issue with my PC, but it may be my wifi. Specs of my PC will be down below.

About daily now (used to occur once in awhile, but consistency has increased), my computer will just disconnect from all things internet-related. Anything that uses the internet crashes, and can't even use offline mode on things like Google Drive or Steam. I think the reason I can't use offline mode is because oddly enough my computer says I'm still connected to WiFi, completely stable and 100% connection. It says this but yet nothing works. I can still go into my documents and do very local stuff that's pretty much irrelevant to the internet, but Steam won't launch, whatever I have open crashes and won't relaunch, and the only way to solve this is to restart my PC. As this happens, my phone is still running off the WiFi just fine. I get no error report or anything.

I will add this: about 1-2 weeks ago we had some serious wifi issues, where everyone in my house was having very poor connection. It fixed itself after a couple days, but after that is when I started encountering this issue. Also noticed the trend that this usually happens after I close a Steam game, notably Fallout Shelter. I cannot remember for sure if this has ever happened without me having closed a game in the last minute.

PC specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: 16GB
Hard drive: 1TB 7200rpm, and another, 250GB 7200rpm dedicated for basic computer functions including starting up.
OS: Windows 10 (Creators Update installed, if that matters)

Any ideas? Thanks!

When it is failing, try this:
Get a command prompt and enter
  1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. ping google.com
If (1) works ( ie returns timings w/o timeouts) then you have a connection to your ISP
If (2) fails, then your DNS is failing and URLs can not be translated into IP addresses.

Report your findings...

Back