Internet mad scientist Colin Furze stuffs a 600cc, 100HP engine into a bumper car

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Internet mad scientist Colin Furze’s latest creation will take you back to your childhood… so long as that childhood involved bumper cars at the local carnival or state fair.

Furze in his latest video refurbishes an old-school bumper car and outfits it with a 600cc, 100 horsepower engine out of a motorcycle in hopes of setting a new Guinness World Record. He recruits The Stig from Top Gear for a record-setting run of more than 100 mph… in a bumper car. That has to be absolutely terrifying.

If you’re interested in seeing how Furze built the death trap, be sure to check out the two-part build log on YouTube.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Either the bumper car can't be that fast and too dangerous for him to drive the thing without a helmet, or we should be expecting a Darwinian moment very soon.

Considering that if it's a fairly late model 600cc engine, gearbox and drive which can power the frame it's designed to be married to, to about 260 Km/h, 160 Km/h in an old, clapped out, brick shaped, tiny wheeled dodgem car is nothing to be scoffed at. That Pom has some serious engineering skills, and he's quite entertaining too, all the while having fun. Not a bad existence in my book.

Either the bumper car can't be that fast and too dangerous for him to drive the thing without a helmet, or we should be expecting a Darwinian moment very soon.

You must be fun.

Considering that if it's a fairly late model 600cc engine, gearbox and drive which can power the frame it's designed to be married to, to about 260 Km/h, 160 Km/h in an old, clapped out, brick shaped, tiny wheeled dodgem car is nothing to be scoffed at. That Pom has some serious engineering skills, and he's quite entertaining too, all the while having fun. Not a bad existence in my book.

Indeed.

Correction, he is not a Pom because he lives in England, the slang name can only be used for people in Australia who were brought to Australia by force from England, now incorrectly used for migrants.
A good idea would be to call an Australian in England a Wombat and let lack of intelligence reign in each case.
Media sport commentators also make the same incorrect comment when an Australia team play cricket against an English team.
English people are sometimes called Limeys in America, the same thing applies, a person can not be a Limey in England.

( The reply switch is OFF)

Correction, he is not a Pom because he lives in England, the slang name can only be used for people in Australia who were brought to Australia by force from England, now incorrectly used for migrants.
A good idea would be to call an Australian in England a Wombat and let lack of intelligence reign in each case.
Media sport commentators also make the same incorrect comment when an Australia team play cricket against an English team.
English people are sometimes called Limeys in America, the same thing applies, a person can not be a Limey in England.

( The reply switch is OFF)
If you're British born (like me) you're a Pom. If you're born in North America, then you're a Yank. If you're born in Japan then you're a Nip. If you're born in New Zealand then you're a Kiwi, and on it goes. I didn't make any of this stuff up, it's just the way one nation has always referred to another nations population since time immemorial and always will. I live in South Africa these days and have lost my status as a Pom and now referred to as a Boer (translated it means farmer). It doesn't bother me and I don't find it insulting in the slightest.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a timed lap around the Top Gear test track, but I doubt it corners that well

If you're British born (like me) you're a Pom. If you're born in North America, then you're a Yank. If you're born in Japan then you're a Nip. If you're born in New Zealand then you're a Kiwi, and on it goes. I didn't make any of this stuff up, it's just the way one nation has always referred to another nations population since time immemorial and always will. I live in South Africa these days and have lost my status as a Pom and now referred to as a Boer (translated it means farmer). It doesn't bother me and I don't find it insulting in the slightest.

OK, since time immemorial illiteracy in people's writing and speech when addressing other people from various countries using a slang name is ill-mannered and disrespectful.
That is the way I was taught at school , the way our family conducted themselves and the same with friends and their families.
On the basis of being disrespectful, especially to people who are strangers, what is the point of not using a correct title or name?
I have yet to meet someone who can give a sensible answer to the question, and "Not Just Because It Has ALWAYS BeenThat Way."

OK, since time immemorial illiteracy in people's writing and speech when addressing other people from various countries using a slang name is ill-mannered and disrespectful.
That is the way I was taught at school , the way our family conducted themselves and the same with friends and their families.
On the basis of being disrespectful, especially to people who are strangers, what is the point of not using a correct title or name?
I have yet to meet someone who can give a sensible answer to the question, and "Not Just Because It Has ALWAYS BeenThat Way."
Alright then. That's your prerogative, and beliefs. You're entitled to them and nobody's saying it's wrong or right. We all have names for everything, some admittedly derogatory and insulting but if I call my wife "sweetheart", for example, it's not her given name naturally, I doubt she's offended by it but if she is, her response of a smile and sometimes a kiss is one weird reaction from anyone who feels insulted but I digress.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with saying nice things to your wife, the origin of my comment was to question why a slang-word title is given to a person instead of using the correct title.
Nippon, for instance is the name of the country used by the people of that country, the English is 'Japan'. "F'ro'g" is used by many people to describe a French person, why not just say "French", Italian instead of "W'o'g", or "S'pa'g".
The English language is difficult for a child or non-British person to learn, it has been made more difficult to learn, made into a mess by Australians, Americans and juveniles, et al.
(P.O.M.E. is written after a person's in many criminal transport ship's documents)

Back