Internet only works through router, not directly connected to the PC

So, I just got a new internet provider today, and they did some stuff, configured my wireless router again etc. The problem is that my router is only 10/100Mbps, and the internet is 300Mbps, although on the box of the router it says 300Mbps...
Anyways, and I want to know if the internet really is 300Mbps by connecting it directly to the pc, not through the router (with another cable coming out from it... you know the deal), but... the internet doesn't work if it's directly connected in the PC. I remember something about MAC adress but don't really know where to look or what to search. I am absolutely sure this question has been asked before many times but as I said, I don't know what to search. Please help.

P.S. : If it helps some bit, I got Windows 10 Pro and the Motherboard is a Gygabye B75M-D3H (it's specs say 1000Mbps)

The problem is Hardware Conditioning from the ISP side.
When the tech got your install done, the ISP saw the connected device as the router and enabled access for its MAC address. When you remove the router, it now sees the MAC of the PC and says, "You're not my customer".

It takes extra effort to make one device pretend to be another (Masquerade) and I don't recommend you play with this.

Ok thanks for the answer. I will just buy another router then...
Also heard something about security problems if it's not connected through the router.

Yes, a router adds another Hoop for the villains to jump thru (y)

You will need to call your ISP and tell them you changed the Router and they need to enable the new one.

Your setup is then:
  1. connect the PC to the router, but disconnect the modem to the PC
  2. you use your Browser to access the router config(a)
  3. login to the router(b)
  4. find Remote Management
  5. disable remote and disable port 8080
  6. find the PASSWORD page
  7. change the password
  8. save the config
  9. this should restart the router and force another login with the new password
(a) usually the url will be http://192.168.0.1/ or 192.168.1.1 There may be a tag on the bottom of the router
(b) there's a default user/password but each brand uses something different - - may also be on the bottom of the router or look thru the instructions for it.

Back