iOS 15 rumors suggest iPhone 6s and iPhone SE won't make the cut

Humza

Staff member
Rumor mill: We're still a few months away from Apple's WWDC conference in June, when the company usually reveals its latest iOS iteration to the world. Every now and then - like with iOS 13 - Apple drops a few models from its supported devices list. According to French site iPhoneSoft, this year's iOS update will likely bid farewell to the long-running 6s/6s Plus, the iPhone SE from 2016, and a few iPads, including the Mini 4, Air 2, and the iPad 5.

When it comes to getting an iPhone, Apple's industry-leading device support is one of the many reasons why you'd consider owning one over a similarly priced Android alternative. And although the company brought iOS 14 to all iOS 13-compatible models, it's now increasingly starting to look like iOS 15 will be dropping a few iPhone and iPad models when it arrives later this year.

Rumors around this topic started surfacing in November last year and have now reared their head again as Apple's iOS 15 reveal and subsequent beta approaches its June 2021 window. According to iPhoneSoft's insider source at Apple, iOS 15 won't be arriving for A9-equipped iPhones, namely the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and the first-gen SE. Similarly, iPads running the same chip or older won't be getting the update either. These include the A8-powered iPad Mini 4, the A8X-powered Air 2, and the A9-powered iPad 5.

The iPhone 6s (2015) and SE (2016) with their chunky bezels. Image Credit: ArsTechnica

Although all the aforementioned devices have enjoyed over five years of iOS/iPad OS updates up till now, it's the 6s and 6s Plus that'll likely stir the most emotions among iPhone fans. The 6s and 6s Plus were not only the last iPhones to ship with a 3.5mm jack and a physical home button, but they also helped push Apple past the one billionth sale mark back in 2016 and are still regarded as one of the most significant models in the entire iPhone lineup.

It remains to be seen what iOS 15 brings to the table; features owners of these older iPhones and iPads might miss out on, owing to their aging hardware. They will, of course, have a few years still left in them to carry on with day to day tasks, alongside security updates that Apple pushes out for such devices.

Permalink to story.

Considering that the iPhone 6s came out in 2015 and the original SE came out in 2016, that makes for nearly six years of software support. That's absolutely fantastic, you've got more than your money's worth out of those devices.

That kind of official software support is practically unheard of in the Android world.

Wife & I will then have ONLY the obviated models of iPhones & iPads. As long as it boots and runs my aps -- couldn't care less

Considering that the iPhone 6s came out in 2015 and the original SE came out in 2016, that makes for nearly six years of software support. That's absolutely fantastic, you've got more than your money's worth out of those devices.

That kind of official software support is practically unheard of in the Android world.

Except androids can be boot strapped and unlocked, you can still find builds for 2011 and 2012 phones being made by the community, no such resource on apple

Except androids can be boot strapped and unlocked, you can still find builds for 2011 and 2012 phones being made by the community, no such resource on apple
Not for all Android phones and often the performance is often laughable. I tried to get my old LG G3 working with a new boot loader and it worked but it was not useable, it was incredibly slow, apps wouldn’t launch, the battery life was a joke. I’m also quite certain that it wasn’t getting security updates. And that phone is newer than a 6S. Or if not it’s the same age.

Apple absolutely destroys any Android device when it comes to software support. The vast majority of Android devices barely get a year of updates. I believe Google is best at 3 years? That’s nearly half what all Apple users get.

Software support so good they underclock your processor without telling you to compensate for the battery they won't allow you to replace.

Amazing. Empowering. Apple innovation. Truly deserving of a trillion dollar market cap.

Last edited:
Apple absolutely destroys any Android device when it comes to software support. The vast majority of Android devices barely get a year of updates. I believe Google is best at 3 years? That’s nearly half what all Apple users get.
Keep in mind that older Androids still get core updates (as system apps are separated from the OS in a way that allows support long term).
They might not get the newest OS flavour, but they do still receive support for the important (core) stuff for a while after.

I'm not saying it's full OS updates like Apple (not that older versions get all the new features), but it's certainly more than people like to admit (or realize). My 4+ year old phone I can see is still getting core app updates through the Google Play Store...

Last edited:
iPhone 6 is ole'. If you care about latest and greatest you wouldn't be using an old phone, my guess. I have nothing against old phones though, if it serves you well no need to change it.
I guess it all depends on what we use them for, NOT talking on it, picture taking & more :)

Apple should really stop pushing year after year versions. Most of them bring really nothing new to the table or rather screen, while last 3 years were ridden with botched builds. And in case of Apple botched updates should really be a non issue considering they control every single detail of hardware. There are no 3rd party customized Apple phones. iOS should be tested to death and back and to death again for a year before release.

Sticking with v13 for a foreseeable future thank you very much. Appreciate the OS support, I know every operating system has bugs, but v14 is new v12 with many "exciting" issues.

Software support so good they underclock your processor without telling you to compensate for the battery they won't allow you to replace.
psst; I've replaced the Bat myself -- takes skill and precision but it is possible. IMO, under/over clocking is for children with nothing else to do. I Need a reliable device at A N Y clock rate, not the fastest on the planet which is USELESS imo

psst; I've replaced the Bat myself -- takes skill and precision but it is possible. IMO, under/over clocking is for children with nothing else to do. I Need a reliable device at A N Y clock rate, not the fastest on the planet which is USELESS imo
It's possible, but not supported. Apple is a leader in the field when it comes to trying to quash people's right to repair. It seems absurd to spike the football about "muh 6 years of official software support" when Apple pulls scummy subterfuge like the stealth underclocking and lobbying against right to repair, all of which is designed to force people to buy a new phone.

Not that companies in the Android space are any better about this, mind. I know when my Blackberry KeyOne finally gives up the ghost I'm just buying a damn feature phone, because it will be a cold day in hell before I get forced back onto a slabphone.

Honestly that not bad they have support that hardware for 5 or 6 generations of hardware, Apple supports its products a lot longer than other manufacturers. With my Samsung I usually get two years if I am lucky three years of OS upgrades and support before Samsung kicks them to the curb.

But outside of geek circles, who does that? It’s only the geeks that do that kind of stuff. The average person doesn’t. That’s what a lot of us here in this circle of thinking seem to forget. Not everyone is a geek or has the time or inclination to do it.

But outside of geek circles, who does that? It’s only the geeks that do that kind of stuff. The average person doesn’t. That’s what a lot of us here in this circle of thinking seem to forget. Not everyone is a geek or has the time or inclination to do it.
boot strapped and unlocked is so 2015? I've said a long time ago, I'd rather have a phone that works. I don't need to customize it. For the most part, apple devices have fit the bill. The only reason for my 3-year cycle upgrade is because of the advancement of their cameras (yes Samsung has some great cameras as well).

Back