IP config does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
What OS are you using? The command differs in some OS. If your using XP then you will want to use Run >> type "cmd" >> when the command menu pops up type your "ipconfig" in and it should work for you.

Thanks for reply Breadfan211,

running xp home
this is my problem.
I open Run >> type "cmd" >> when the command menu pops up I type "ipconfig" in
the window appears for a secomd and disapears.
what can I do

any advise would be welcome

kevin

In RUN try typing command.com it is the older and more capable Dos equivalent. Having said that, I tried 'ipconfig' under both cmd.exe and command.com - they both work fine, and the same way. Rather suggests your dos sub-system is corrupt. to check that, try RUN >> cmd and type the following

SFC /SCANNOW

Quite possibly you aren't giving enough information:

IP Configuration [ipconfig] Command

ipconfig [/? | /all | /release [adapter] | /renew [adapter]]
/? Display this help message.
/all Display full configuration information.
/release Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
/renew Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.

Example:ipconfig /all
Displays current IP settings in detail

ipconfig /release
Instructs the network host to release the DHCP assigned. ipconfig /renew
Instructs the network host to request a new IP address from the DHCP server.
NOTE: using the renew command implies a release.

try type in ipconfig in the Dos window. This will bring up all the network information on your system, as well as let you know if you have any errors with your IP address. You should not have 0.0.0.0 or 165 or 169 as the first three numbers of your IP address. This information is found under Ethernet on this screen. (theworldofcomputer.com)

Dude, thats not what he is asking. He is saying that WHEN he DOES type in 'ipconfig' it flashes on the screen then immeditaely disappears so he doesn't get to see any results.

Wait!!!! I figured out what you're doing Kevin!!!

You're typing ipconfig in as a Run command. That's where you get the flash of the screen. Instead, you need to type it in as a Command prompt like this:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type cmd or command and press enter.

Then on the black screen, at the C prompt, type in ipconfig.

You can specify with the attributes I left, but you can also access from the Command Prompt with just ipconfig.

I just reproduced your flashing screen- sorry I didn't catch it sooner. T

Wait!!!! I figured out what you're doing Kevin!!!

You're typing ipconfig in as a Run command. That's where you get the flash of the screen. Instead, you need to type it in as a Command prompt like this:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type cmd or command and press enter.

Then on the black screen, at the C prompt, type in ipconfig.

You can specify with the attributes I left, but you can also access from the Command Prompt with just ipconfig.

I just reproduced your flashing screen- sorry I didn't catch it sooner. T

:rolleyes: If you re-read his op you'll see that he says
I open Run >> type "cmd" >> when the command menu pops up I type "ipconfig" in

That to me says that he is getting the command prompt open before typing in ipconfig.
I think we all know/knew that typing ipconfig in the run field will only flash.

Sorry, don't mean to sound condescending but this is the 2nd post that has mistaken the issue and answered the wrong query, it may just confuse the matter even more.

k.jacko, I am going immediately for another cup of coffee! I sure blew that one, didn't I?! The funny thing is that I DID reproduce exactly what he described happening by typing ipconfig in Run. Got a quick flash of the black screen, then nothing!

Kevin, I hope you can figure this out. Are you sure you're getting the black screen up with the blinking C prompt?

My apology for the confusion. Thank goodness there are other members who are more alert than I am this morning!

thanks to all

A big thanks to all.

I now understand.

select start > run
enter "cmd" at prompt
wait for cmd.exe.
type in ipconfig at the prompt.
all info required shown.

thanks all

learner1

Hang on, so Bobbye was right? You were entering ipconfig in the 'run' window instead of a command shell?

Lol, Bobbye my turn for the copious amounts of coffee mate, apologies and well done to you. :)

Well you can run IPConfig from Run command. Here's what I always say:

Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>
(Note: just copy and paste the above bold part into a Run box)

And post the ipconfig.txt (on your Desktop) as an attachment
attach.gif
here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back