iPad Mini 2 to go Retina, cheaper iPhone 5 coming, analyst says

Rick

Staff

This latest batch of rumors indicate Apple's next iPad Mini will feature a high-PPI "Retina" display, similar to its pricier (and bigger) brother. Meanwhile, the next iteration of the iPhone -- iPhone 5S, if history repeats itself -- could be released alongside a less-expensive, slightly tweaked version of the iPhone 5.

We recently touched on a rumor which suggested a cheaper "iPhone Mini" could surface this summer. Perhaps more likely though, is KGI Securities' supposition: a modified, cheaper iPhone 5 and a brand-new iPhone 5S.

MacRumors posits the analyst sharing these insights, Ming-Chi Kuo, has a "very good track record in predicting Apple's product plans". The information was sent as a note to investors and subsequently intercepted by MacRumors.

The analyst expects the iPhone 5S to feature a number of subtle upgrades, including a higher-performing A7 chip, fingerprint sensor along with an improved camera and smart flash. Contrary to other rumors though, Kuo doesn't believe Apple will ditch its in-cell touch-sensing technology in favor of Touch On -- at least not for the iPhone 5S.

The analyst also supposes the newer, cheaper iPhone 5 will remain mostly untouched. However, he does expect it to feature a smaller price tag and ship in assorted colors. The lower cost will be due partly to a slightly thicker, plastic body -- a rumor started earlier this week by a report from Digitimes.

A new iPad Mini, currently being called the "iPad Mini 2", is predicted to arrive in Q3 this year alongside a refreshed, full-size iPad model. Potentially the most notable change appears to be for the new iPad Mini: a Retina display. Meanwhile, the full-sized model is expected to get even thinner and lighter.

MacRumors has posted a longer list of Kuo's expectations, which include Macbooks, iMacs, iPods and the Apple TV.

Permalink to story.

Why do people want paper thin ipads it beyond me, I like my gadgets thick so they dont break when I "tap them too hard."

I personally think this analyst is a chop. There is no way Apple will make a cheaper iPhone 5 whilst still selling their orginial iPhone 5 AND a 5s.

The rest of what he said is obvious. Obviously there will be a Retina display on the mini. Obviously the iPhone 5s will have a faster chip.

Assorted colors as in black or white only? hehehe.

or as in the colors of nokia lumia as adapted by htc?

Assorted colors as in black or white only? hehehe.

or as in the colors of nokia lumia as adapted by htc?

Or better yet, the colors of nokia lumia as adopted by htc, copied by Apple which then got a design patent on a color phone and then goes to sue Nokia for violation of the patent for the Lumia that Apple copied from in the first place.

Back