iPhone 14 Pro rumored to feature 48MP camera, periscope lens coming in 2023

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a recent note to investors that he believes Apple’s next iPhone will feature a 48-megapixel camera and get a periscope-style lens the following year.

Kuo previously said the rumored 48-megapixel camera will be limited to the iPhone 14 Pro models, Apple’s upper echelon handsets. The new camera, which is also said to be capable of recording 8K video, may also support 12-megapixel output through pixel binning. While not new, the feature is meant to improve image quality in low light by combining data from multiple pixels into one, albeit at the expense of resolution.

A periscope lens isn’t a new innovation, either. The Huawei P40 Pro+ features one, which as the name suggests, allows for an extended optical zoom range. On the P40 Pro+, it enables 10x optical zoom. For comparison, the iPhone 13 Pro Max can only do 3x optical zoom.

Kuo in a note from earlier this year said a notch-eliminating under-display Face ID / Touch ID could also be in the works. For many prospective buyers, this could be a bigger selling point than a new camera as the notch isn't universally liked.

In the latest investor note, Kuo said the incoming camera upgrades will enhance optics supplier Largan Precision’s market share, and thus, revenue and profit. Shares in that company are up more than 1.5 percent on the rumor.

Image credit The Gate

Permalink to story.

If that's true, I think that's "cool" but ultimately a waste.

Who needs a smartphone with more than 12MP right now?
You take photos mostly for social media and those services degrade the image quality. Thee file sizes are so large, you need to reduce them and degrade the image quality. The same goes for video clips.

If the iphone 14 does have this feature, cool, but more than likely it's a feature I won't fully take advantage of.

The bigger story is the 14 being available with the 1TB storage option just like my 13 Pro Max.

The next level aye. Funny how a dirt cheap Pixel 5a beat the iPhone 13 in double blind tests for best photos. They still have a ways to go.

The next level aye. Funny how a dirt cheap Pixel 5a beat the iPhone 13 in double blind tests for best photos. They still have a ways to go.
I when I took Photography in college I was always told, "the best camera is the one you have on you".

I love my Sony A7, but some of the coolest pictures I've taken are with phones. If I'm going somewhere with my camera with the intent of taking pictures I will lug my camera around with me but the coolest shots I've taken are places I've gone without giving a second thought to taking pictures.

Nothing phone makers do will ever beat a dedicated camera and that has to do with how light refracts in a prism. I'll always think people who buy a phone for the camera are stupid but a good camera is a nice feature to have. And if you're a techy, a DSLR or Mirrorless camera is just a cool gadget to have. You can pick up fantastic used cameras for cheap that still take amazing pictures, it's buying lenses where they get you....

In direct competition with Sony, Canon, and Hassiblad, this could be a strong motivator for the camera companies to accelerate their high end chips. I worked as a professional photographer in NYC for several years until I changed careers and frequently got that question of "what's the best camera to buy" ..... my answer was simply "what's the job?". I still have my 35mm film and digital, my Hassiblad 500cm, and a 4x5, 8x10 and 12x20 Deardorff which I treasure greatly. I don't shoot sheet film as much as I used to but I continue to because he makes you think & previsulize before tripping the shutter. The greatest fall back with digital camera's is so many blast away with them, like a machine gun, hoping to capture something. With a view camera it's isn't unusual to take 30-45 minutes to make a single photograph which often results in better composition and pin point sharpness. Oh yes, digital is rapidly passing the old film camera's but having a sheet film camera is more of a love affair with the art of photography, not just a collection of exposures in hopes of getting one good one.

In direct competition with Sony, Canon, and Hassiblad, this could be a strong motivator for the camera companies to accelerate their high end chips. I worked as a professional photographer in NYC for several years until I changed careers and frequently got that question of "what's the best camera to buy" ..... my answer was simply "what's the job?". I still have my 35mm film and digital, my Hassiblad 500cm, and a 4x5, 8x10 and 12x20 Deardorff which I treasure greatly. I don't shoot sheet film as much as I used to but I continue to because he makes you think & previsulize before tripping the shutter. The greatest fall back with digital camera's is so many blast away with them, like a machine gun, hoping to capture something. With a view camera it's isn't unusual to take 30-45 minutes to make a single photograph which often results in better composition and pin point sharpness. Oh yes, digital is rapidly passing the old film camera's but having a sheet film camera is more of a love affair with the art of photography, not just a collection of exposures in hopes of getting one good one.
I really love how the backgrounds just melt away on large format cameras, but a 12X20? I don't think I've ever seen a picture shot on anything bigger than a 4X5

They are so late. My Xiaomi has 108mp camera.
I know, just a marketing stuff. Iphone camera is miles better

If that's true, I think that's "cool" but ultimately a waste.

Who needs a smartphone with more than 12MP right now?
You take photos mostly for social media and those services degrade the image quality. Thee file sizes are so large, you need to reduce them and degrade the image quality. The same goes for video clips.

If the iphone 14 does have this feature, cool, but more than likely it's a feature I won't fully take advantage of.

The bigger story is the 14 being available with the 1TB storage option just like my 13 Pro Max.

Huge pixel counts are to grab more light and reduce noise though pixel binning though not increase resolution and given Apple are pretty serious about image quality this is an understandable move.

The cycle of hype of "supposed" features continues - if we had those supposed features that were hinted during the life of iPhone line, we would be using teleports, tricorders, venturing to space and meeting alien races.
It makes for good ad revenue and article engagement, I guess.
New Nintendo Switch on the way as well? 4K capable and such?

iPhone 14 without USB-C that's just waste of time. It takes hours to move video content over Lighting. And Apple has audacity to advertise phones as mobile cameras for "Pros".

USB-C iPhones that's the only upgrade people want.

iPhone 14 without USB-C that's just waste of time. It takes hours to move video content over Lighting. And Apple has audacity to advertise phones as mobile cameras for "Pros".

USB-C iPhones that's the only upgrade people want.

That would be *meaningful* improvement to the iPhone - we’re at least 2-4 more copy/pasta generations out before that happens.

The camera doesn't take photography to the "next level" it's the photographer. But, maybe it's like autotune where everyone "deserves" to be a star

I really love how the backgrounds just melt away on large format cameras, but a 12X20? I don't think I've ever seen a picture shot on anything bigger than a 4X5

They are still available new for around $7,500 without a lens but are not as popular as they were back in the 60's and 70's. If you just search on "12x20 view camers" you'll find a wealth of information. Probably best known for the camera of choice for the Union Station giant photo displays sponsored by Kodak.

I when I took Photography in college I was always told, "the best camera is the one you have on you".

I love my Sony A7, but some of the coolest pictures I've taken are with phones. If I'm going somewhere with my camera with the intent of taking pictures I will lug my camera around with me but the coolest shots I've taken are places I've gone without giving a second thought to taking pictures.

Nothing phone makers do will ever beat a dedicated camera and that has to do with how light refracts in a prism. I'll always think people who buy a phone for the camera are stupid but a good camera is a nice feature to have. And if you're a techy, a DSLR or Mirrorless camera is just a cool gadget to have. You can pick up fantastic used cameras for cheap that still take amazing pictures, it's buying lenses where they get you....

the Pixel 5a is a phone, I made no comparison to real cameras.

Back