iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max: Taller, wider, and heavier

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: Apple's upcoming iPhone 16 Pro series smartphones are expected to be its largest models to date, eclipsing the 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays on the existing iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max. Multiple sources have told MacRumors that the new Pro iPhones will ship with larger displays measuring roughly 6.3 inches and 6.85 inches diagonally. The increase will result in phones that are slightly taller, wider, and heavier than their existing siblings.

The iPhone 16 Pro Max, for example, is said to measure 163.0 mm tall, 77.58 mm wide, and weigh 225 grams. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro Max measures 159.9 mm in height, is 76.70 mm wide, and tips the scales at 221 grams.

The changes aren't substantial but in the premium smartphone market where real estate is already at a premium, even the slightest difference is noticeable. It is also worth mentioning that the new phones are not gaining any thickness, and will still measure 8.25 mm in depth.

What does this mean for consumers? Apple could use the extra space behind the larger display to squeeze in a higher capacity battery or make other quality of life improvements. Annoyingly, iPhone 15 Pro / Pro Max cases won't fit the 16 Pro family so case users will need to shell out more money for properly fitting protection.

The publication believes the larger screen sizes will be exclusive to the Pro line later this year, and won't trickle down to the standard iPhone and iPhone Plus until the iPhone 17 arrives in late 2025. When that does happen, the entire iPhone lineup will adopt a taller aspect ratio of 19:6:9.

The next wave of Pro-grade iPhones are also expected to ship with Apple's latest A18 Pro chip and could support Wi-Fi 7 as well as faster 5G connectivity. We may also finally see the introduction of solid-state buttons, a feature that was originally pegged for the iPhone 15 Pro before technical issues reportedly got in the way.

Image credit: Amanz, Thai Nguyen

Permalink to story.

"The iPhone 16 Pro Max, for example, is said to measure 163.0 mm tall, 77.58 mm wide, and weigh 225 grams. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro Max measures 159.9 mm in height, is 76.70 mm wide, and tips the scales at 221 grams."

So....that's approx. 4 mm and 4 grams.

Translate that into imperial units (you know, inches and ounces) and see how stupid this alleged "increase" looks to your American audience!!

"The iPhone 16 Pro Max, for example, is said to measure 163.0 mm tall, 77.58 mm wide, and weigh 225 grams. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro Max measures 159.9 mm in height, is 76.70 mm wide, and tips the scales at 221 grams."

So....that's approx. 4 mm and 4 grams.

Translate that into imperial units (you know, inches and ounces) and see how stupid this alleged "increase" looks to your American audience!!
Well, my hands didnt get 4mm bigger.

I actually prefer a WIDER screen. If for anything else, to PREVENT one handed operation.
THAT might help cut down on texting & driving. <wink>

Why can't they still offer a mini phone? Some of us still like that size! I'll stick to my 12 mini. Small and light, barely noticeable in my pocket. I don't game on my phone, and I rarely watch video. I guess I'm old school, I use it for messaging, calls, music, and some occasional web browsing.

I would much rather just have the same size screen and 1mm added to the thickness in exchange for the battery not being absolute dogshit on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Can’t speak for the 14 pro but the 15 pro max has god tier battery life. My usage is 6+ hours actively a day and I can go 50+ hours on 1 charge … yes you read that right TWO FULL DAYS!

Stop getting bigger!

As soon as we don’t need the notch for sensors, please cut off off the top and keep the (rest of the) screen the same size.

Apparently mini sales were too low to be viable, but can we keep the Pro reasonable? Make the Max as big as the masses want.

The minis sold out. There interest was as good if not better than the se. Apple is just following the trend. They think everyone wants to walk around with a phone the size of an iPad

Last edited:
Anyone who buys Apple just for the name when there are many phones better makes it your fault.... stop complaining, suck it up and grow some

Can’t speak for the 14 pro but the 15 pro max has god tier battery life. My usage is 6+ hours actively a day and I can go 50+ hours on 1 charge … yes you read that right TWO FULL DAYS!

I have the 13 Pro Max and I am extremely happy with the battery too...no need for upgrade yet (not much into photos & videos "perfection" - just capturing the moment)......I might get the next Pro Max though, and welcome the slightly bigger screen.

The minis sold out. There interest was as good if not better than the se. Apple is just following the trend. They think everyone wants to walk around with a phone the size of an iPad
The numbers dont lie. The 12 mini and 13 mini combined sold less then the SE2. It's just not a big enough market for apple to care. I dont like it, but its the truth.
Stop getting bigger!

As soon as we don’t need the notch for sensors, please cut off off the top and keep the (rest of the) screen the same size.

Apparently mini sales were too low to be viable, but can we keep the Pro reasonable? Make the Max as big as the masses want.
I remember when we made fun of the xperia z ultra for being tablet size.....

The numbers dont lie. The 12 mini and 13 mini combined sold less then the SE2. It's just not a big enough market for apple to care. I dont like it, but its the truth.
I try to follow the numbers, Apple is quite cryptic. Macrumors is a good site to read up on things like this. The reason they dumped the mini was to revamp the SE to have a full screen, but that project fell behind and we may not see it till 2025, or possibly this year. This was supposed to replace the MINI and current SE design.

"iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max: Taller, wider, and heavier"

Three good reasons Not to buy them...!

I just swapped from a fold 3 to the 15 pro max, and I fully agree! I haven't seen the battery life dip below 70% by bed time yet! (granted I've been on vacation, so its not in as heavy use like it is when I'm working, but regardless, I've been VERY impressed by the 15 pro max battery life.)

Who the hell wants bigger. I just got an iPhone 13 mini because I love my wife’s. Apple is missing the boat here.

Probably the fashion industry. They are probably coordinating EXTRA™ large pockets for their fall 2024 clothing. They were starting to run out of ideas for fashion trends.

I know the mini is a small market, but I think with the sheer volume of phones they sell - it is still a significant number. Apple was the only one making a flagship quality small phone. There are a few small android phones, but they are low spec and generally underwhelming in the performance category. The Apple SE and mini's were just as fast and had good performance as their fullsize counterparts. Battery life isn't great but that is a tradeoff that I will accept.

I know the mini is a small market, but I think with the sheer volume of phones they sell - it is still a significant number
Yes it is. And, if you look at the used market for an iPhone 13 mini, the prices are higher than a lot of new android phones. The demand is that strong. I purchased an Amazon Renewed Premium (1 year warranty and return). Came flawless with 95% battery. Couldn't be happier. Thing is so nice, even with my big hands, I make less typo's on that little keyboard than I do with my iPhone XS (which is also a pretty compact phone). Love this phone.

They did not. They sold some but not enough (for max profitability).

Apple likes money. They will sell people whatever they buy.

Back