iPhone alumni want Humane's new screenless AI to change how we interact with technology

Jimmy2x

Staff
Why it matters: The iPhone's release in 2007 forever changed how we interact with technology. It ushered in an era of portable, feature-rich, and more connected personal devices that have, for better or for worse, become a mainstay of our everyday lives. Now, two former Apple engineers with deep roots in iPhone history are reimagining how we can better integrate technology without separating from the world around us.

Imran Chaudhri and Bethany Bongiorno are no strangers to disruptive innovation. Chaudhri was behind the iPhone's instantly recognizable and intuitive user interface. Bongiorno previously served as Apple's Director of Software Engineering, overseeing projects for Apple's iOS, macOS, and iPad. The husband-and-wife team left Apple and went on to create Humane in 2018. Since then, the company's efforts have been shrouded in relative secrecy, with some followers criticizing the startup for raising large amounts of capital but delivering no products or results for several years.

Several months ago, video clips of Chaudhri delivering a Ted Talk with a never before seen wearable device began to circulate online. The complete video of the talk was recently released, giving viewers a thorough look at Humane's ambitious new AI-based wearable device. To demonstrate, Chaudhri receives a call from his wife. He seems to answer it with the palm of his hand via a projection from Humane's wearable AI prototype.

Chaudhri and Bongiorno view AI as the driving force behind the evolution of device design, and their goal is to design new AI-driven technologies that make life better. As the video shows, Humane doesn't simply define better as bringing more functionality to the same mobile platforms. The company aims to create technology solutions that feel familiar, natural, and human. The couple wants to introduce technology that relieves our reliance upon devices that, by design, remove us from the world around us.

Chaudhri says the device was built from the ground up to securely serve its intended purpose without reliance on or connection to any other mobile device. It would alleviate any need for users to constantly check mobile device screens for alerts and information while opening up new possibilities previously unavailable due to the inherent limitations of touchscreens and limited accessibility of some users with disabilities.

"[The device] interacts with the world the way you interact with the world, hearing what you hear, seeing what you see, while being privacy first, and safe, and completely fading into the background of your life," explained Chaudhri.

Humane's founders want to expand on this concept and believe they've just scratched the surface of what is possible with today's AI technology. If their goal is to reimagine the human/technology relationship, this device could be a massive step toward the next significant shift in wearable solutions.

Permalink to story.

This smells like a scam. It appears to be just a cell phone with a pico projector pointed at a hand instead of a typical display. AI is the new buzzword of the IT world and charlatans everywhere slap the letters onto just about any product hoping to boost sales or investment.

Seems like everything must be AI and must be wearable. Who cares if it's useless or looks stupid. It almost feels like they're trying random things because they're running out of useful original ideas. I got an idea for a wearable, you pull your scrotum into the shape of a sailboat and use that as a touchscreen to order soft serve ice cream. I'll let you guess where the ice cream comes out. Can I have a few hundred million in investment now?

I got an idea for a wearable, you pull your scrotum into the shape of a sailboat and use that as a touchscreen to order soft serve ice cream. I'll let you guess where the ice cream comes out. Can I have a few hundred million in investment now?
Netflix unironically would buy that

:rolleyes:
iPhone alumni want Humane's new screenless AI to change how we interact with technology
IMO, this title really should be
iPhone alumni want Humane's new screenless AI to change how we interact with technology - so they can have even more money they do not need by pushing tech on people who do not need it.

Sh!t like this really brings out the flies.

Like WTF? We need technology to interact with the world? If I want to interact with the world, I'll go for a hike in my local park, get out my big 12" telescope and look at the stars, go to a rookery to watch Great Blue Herons raising their young, and leave the AI crap behind.

This fad, just like all the other fads will die in part, IMO, because people are milking this FAD just like all the other FADs and expect it to last forever. Just ask Disney, and all the others that jumped on the streaming fad without really understanding why people were jumping to streaming, how that FAD is going for them.

I like my own idea better
use glasses that have projectors (one image and the other ToF type) integrated into the bridge and two cameras on both sides (for stereoscopic analysis of the image), connected to the mobile by cable, for data transmission (if the computing power in the glasses is not enough for some tasks) and for additional power.
if the glasses are disconnected, the functionalities will be reduced (due to the higher computing power demands) and more extensive when connected.
I would like to know the computing capabilities of the SoC of an Apple Watch or a Wear

Last edited:
Back