Is a virus causing server not found error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfblitz

I think I may have picked up a virus I keep getting the server not found error message (see attatched screen cap) whenever I try to open web pages and beleive me it's really annoying it takes ages to get anywhere it took me five minutes to open this web page I rebooted twice because that seems to help sometimes........ mbam,sas and hjt logs attatched

Attachments

• sshot.JPG
    sshot.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 8
  • hijackthis.log
    4.8 KB · Views: 4
  • mbam-log-2010-04-29 (18-58-57).txt
    900 bytes · Views: 5
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 04-29-2010 - 18-00-20.log
    1.9 KB · Views: 5
We're using different preliminary programs now. But I don't see any indication in these 3 logs to suspect malware.

What you are describing sounds more like a problem with your ISP-OR-a RAM problem.
I rebooted twice because that seems to help sometimes

This is typical of either not enough RAM or a bad RAM chip. When you reboot, if frees up some RAM and you start the cycle all over again. As it gets 'used up', the loads slow down. Windows XP needs at least 512MB of available RAM to function well.
The site is okay- I got it right up in Firefox. But 10 minutes from now, if the traffic to the site gets heavy and their server can't handle it at that time, I might get that message.

How about an online virus scan to see if anything shows up:
Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.
I'll check the log.
As for the Windows updates: if you have had a failed update, new update won't install until it is removed

Thanks for your reply bobbye have attatched the log you requested
"Windows XP needs at least 512MB of available RAM to function well." I have 2GB of RAM......If it is a bad RAM chip how would I find out

Attachments

• log.txt
    877 bytes · Views: 5
As bobbye mentions, be sure to check if the problem is specific to firefox or not (i.e. try other browsers) as well as other websites. Also see here

show us your TCP settings
get a command prompt (run -> and enter CMD )
ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt​
then follow-up and attach myTCP.txt which will be in your personal area
%userprofile%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back