Is Backing Up Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knot2Brite

Hello,

I just got a new computer which is in a RAID. I am told that everything on C is copied onto a mirror drive so if C fails I can run off of the other drive. (Of course, I'd quickly replace C).

Do I still need to backup?

Are there certain files to backup?

Thanks

Of course you need to backup - a Raid array just makes it far less likely that a single HDD failure will stop you. It won't (a) protect you against malware fouling up your PC, (b) stop an electrical fault damaging both your drives, (c) put out a house fire, (d) trip up a thief as he departs with your PC.

In short, backups protect against many sources of failure, Raid protects against just one, and not a particularly likely one at that.

Are there certain files.....yes, the whole operating system and installed applications.

Lots of Web services available for off-site backup storage, although I am not a fan of them. They are more likely target of attack than a home computer, in my opinion.
I am a fan of external HD storage for images of my C drive and Data folders. They are inexpensive, and can be easily locked in a safe place, or even taken with you when you travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back