Is Diskeeper worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I have been a devout Diskeeper user since Windows 2000. In my past experience, the built-in defragmenter is much slower, and not nearly as thorough.

My last purchase of DK was the 2008 version. Now that I have upgraded to Windows 7, I need to buy a new version of Diskeeper.
While it's not expensive ($39.99), I am curious to know what other users think.
Is Diskeeper significantly better than what you get with Windows 7?

Thanks

FW

I can't remember the link offhand, but someone did a defrag roundup a year or 2 ago, and Diskeeper was one of the lowest ranked ones.. I found that out like 2 days after I had installed it :( There are better ones out there.

Thanks for the info.
I DL Auslogics and ran it. Doesn't have the "interesting" features that Diskeeper has, but then I don't usually keep all those gadgets running anyway, since they seem to cause performance hits for games.

What I'm thinking is that Diskeeper was once a really great utility, just like Norton Utilities was. Then, the company got big, and you know the rest.

I can do a lot with the $30 I will save if I don't buy Diskeeper 2009.

Thanks

FW

One thing I like about Auslogics (besides that it's free) is that it doesn't do anything in the background while I'm working/playing other stuff. Diskeeper prides itself for its "invisi-tasking", but I had always turned it off while playing games anyway.

What really bugged me about Diskeeper is that the version I bought only last year (ver 2008) wouldn't work on Windows 7. Somehow, I think that was done on purpose, knowing that Microsoft was going to release 7 in 2009.
I guess that's what we get for living in a capitalistic society<g>

FW

By the way, for another tip about defraging your Pagefile for performance see this post.

Your pagefile (and some other files) are "locked" once Windows starts so normal defraggers like Auslogics and Diskeeper can't defrag 'em. Follow the tip and defrag it once and your done!

E.g. i defragged my pagefile once up front when my new computer arrived so I now run with a single, contiguous 4GB pagefile. Can't be better then that! So I don't ever need defrag it again - unless i ever add more memory

By the way, for another tip about defraging your Pagefile for performance see this post.

Your pagefile (and some other files) are "locked" once Windows starts so normal defraggers like Auslogics and Diskeeper can't defrag 'em. Follow the tip and defrag it once and your done!

E.g. i defragged my pagefile once up front when my new computer arrived so I now run with a single, contiguous 4GB pagefile. Can't be better then that! So I don't ever need defrag it again - unless i ever add more memory
Diskeeper ver 2008 and above will defrag the paging file. At least they claim to do it during a boot-time defrag.

FW

Got an additional requirement here. (Because I need to support quite a few older PC's as well as the latest.)

Is there still available any defragger which will run on Win 98 ? Other than the installed MS version, I need one that is respectful of activity on the OS and will only run in idle moments, so can be set to run frequently or continuously.

Got an additional requirement here. (Because I need to support quite a few older PC's as well as the latest.)

Is there still available any defragger which will run on Win 98 ? Other than the installed MS version, I need one that is respectful of activity on the OS and will only run in idle moments, so can be set to run frequently or continuously.

I'm sure there are older defrag programs still out there, but I'm not sure about background defrag in Win98.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back