Is it my router or something else ?

sadgyrl514

I am in no way a computer genius, but I like to think that I'm not totally dumb when it comes to computers. However....I can not for the life of me figure out how to solve this problem and its driving me bonkers !

Ok, so here's my problem....

I have 2 desktop computers connected to a router (a "n" router i believe), and it has been like this since September. There has never been a problem with internet speed until a few days ago. For some reason now, certain websites take forever to load (if they load at all), and certain things, like windows updates and java updates will not download either. But yet, the signal strength is 100% and a few websites load with no problem, it just seems to be the ones I go to frequently that are loading slow or not loading.

I have looked on microsoft, and other online websites, and tried everything,I tried resetting my modem, restting my router, uninstalling my antivirus program, disabling my firewall, everything, but nothing solves the problem.

Can someone help me fix the problem ?

p.s.....my antivirus and spyware programs haven't found anything, nor has windows found any known issues with the internet connection when I tried detecting a problem

Not likely to be the router, but just to be sure, did you set a router password?
If Yes, then it would be difficult to hack the router.
Otherwise, it's very easy to hack it and cause problems.

Secondly, your symptoms do sound like an infection of some kind.
Start this process and post results into the Virus and Malware Removal forum

thanks Jobeard,

I dunno what the exact problem was, but i found a small hole in the back of the router that said "reset" and i used a pin to press it, and ever since i did that, everything has been fine :)

P.s.....yes the router has a password

BRAVO! yes that is necessary from time to time.

Next time, unplug the power, wait 30 seconds and then power it back on.

Now that you've hit reset, you need to redo the password!

btw: by password, I mean that YOU should set something other than the default :)

Back