Is it possible for SD card to be bootable?

Nobina

Is the process same as making USB drive bootable? SD Card is SD HC, not micro if it matters.

If I am not mistaken, I do not believe you can boot off of SD cards. Even if you were able to, they are quite slow.

The question in its presented form can be answered with one word: Yes.

However, it isn't as straightforward as it seems to be to answer. I had a reply typed out this morning and deleted it. I had seen a question on a mac forum asking this a bit ago and the answer was no, but I saw a search result indicating yes. That leads me to believe that certain hardware setups do not allow it. Google returns some results on how to do it (presuming a PC). I'm sure some PC laptops can boot from an SD card, maybe all, I don't know.

Are we dealing with a laptop and an SD card reader here? If so, what laptop?
I don't see any limitation on booting from SD if the computer can boot from USB.

But it would be slow to run a desktop OS off of.

Are you wanting to run a OS from the card or install an OS from the card. Which OS?

I would imagine the process is the same as making a USB stick bootable. However, the OS you are using to create the bootable SD card may see it as an SD card and not a USB stick, and thus not recognize it as a device to make bootable. You could get one of those readers that fit in a USB port if that is the case, just to get a bootable SD card. Then try and see if it will boot with the card in that SD slot. Will probably have to hit whatever button brings up your boot menu or edit the boot order in the bios.

Are you wanting to run a OS from the card or install an OS from the card. Which OS?

I would imagine the process is the same as making a USB stick bootable. However, the OS you are using to create the bootable SD card may see it as an SD card and not a USB stick, and thus not recognize it as a device to make bootable. You could get one of those readers that fit in a USB port if that is the case, just to get a bootable SD card. Then try and see if it will boot with the card in that SD slot. Will probably have to hit whatever button brings up your boot menu or edit the boot order in the bios.
I'm wanting to install and OS from the SD card, but not now, I'm just asking to know if it will work cause in the future I might do it. OS is Windows 7 or 8. Netbook doesn't have a CD/DVD drive so that sucks.

Use this to try and make it, and if it doesn't work you may have to put the SD card in a USB adapter just to get it made. You could go ahead and make it and test it now, and that way you will know if it is going to work when you need it to.

Use this to try and make it, and if it doesn't work you may have to put the SD card in a USB adapter just to get it made. You could go ahead and make it and test it now, and that way you will know if it is going to work when you need it to.
I'll try it when I need it and will let you know.

Back