Is my e7400 underclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i just installed a new e7400 core 2 duo 2.8ghz so it says on the box. but in the bios and cpuid it is saying its running at 2.266ghz. windows also says this. in cpuid the core speed fluctuates from 1600 to 2.266, and the vcore is also fluctuating between 1.056, 1.072, 1.088, 1.120, 1,136 and 1.248 is the highest ive seen it. Is it normal for it to display like this?

u do not tell any of how the BIOS is setup and it may be that windows is adjusting the speed as things need more speed. if the bios is set to allow this it will which is designed to save power.

Yes, iIt Is.....(Underclocked)

The E7400 has an unlocked multiplier. I don't know offhand what the spec is . Check Intel's site for that info. You Gigabyte BIOS may or may not allow setting the multiplier. But, the 2.26Ghz figure you mentioned is an exact multiple of a multiplier. My E7300 runs @ 2.66Ghz with the multiplier set @ 10.0, @ 10.5 it would run @ 2,8Ghz.. At one point my E7300 was running @ 2.26Ghz also, and the BIOS had "reset itself" to a multiplier of 8.5..! Dunno how that happened.

As to your fluctuation question, if you've installed the Energy Saver software garbage, that could be the cause. I don't run enough computers to worry about energy saving software or "green" HDDs.

I doubt that any of those "changes" will make any difference to your use of the machine. Other than the statistics, are you have observable problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back