Is my PSU going bad? PC shuts down randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffykitten

Using a 550watt Antec Neo HE550, system built 5 years ago and PC will shut down at random times, although when it does start to just turn off, it will do it sometimes over and over and other times I can run the machine all day with no problems, I believe it is the PSU but not sure.

OS Linux Ubuntu

If I need to get another one, which one - I don't want to spend over 40-50 dollars, I know it is cheap range but with all this KVM stuff, it is getting expensive. Like I said, 5 year old, was the best you could buy at the time and the machine runs good but I wanna do a whole new system soon so this is just to keep it going.

Since we don't know if it is the psu there is no need to spend money on a new one if you don't need to. Do you have a multimeter or do you have a friend that has one to test your psu?

Could be a range of other things. When did you last open up and clean your case, a lot of parts in your pc will cause it to shut down if something gets too hot.

You also need to give more details about your computer, give us some exact specs of the hardware.

Could be a range of other things. When did you last open up and clean your case, a lot of parts in your pc will cause it to shut down if something gets too hot.

You also need to give more details about your computer, give us some exact specs of the hardware.

I have a temperature probe in the case and usually reads through 85-90 and 78-83 at night. I keep the inside of the case clean and no dust, this system was built 5 years ago and I do have a multimeter but never tested a PSU so I need to read a quick how to somewhere and for the specs, ah next post I will do that, been years and i don't know all the exact specs at this moment.

Hi Fluffy, (i just like saying that)
you could do a cursory check of your voltages with software like this
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
I say cursory because they are usually not exact, however can give you a good idea if your psu is starting , or has lost its ability to regulate the voltages on the various rails. what your looking for is a fluctuation of less than %5.
+12v rail (s) low 11.40v - 12.60v high
+5v rail low 4.75v - 5.25v high
+3.3v rail low 3.13 - 3.46v high

a power supply can still be bad even if its within the %5, low efficiency,high ripple etc, But this can give you an idea as to the state of your PSU.

Being that it's an Antec Neo, it's probably about time for it to die. Antec built those PSUs with Fuhjyyu capacitors, which are absolute garbage and should have failed by now.

I have no idea what PC you have, if it's not too power hungry, try and pick up a relatively new Antec EA-380. Try and get one with a silver casing (not green), made sometime in 2009 if you can. At that point they were being built by Seasonic with much higher quality capacitors than they were in 2007/2008.

I know my hardware is probably junk and old, but I built this system in 2004 so and looking to build another one with a budget around 1000-1500 dollars and not even sure if that is enough to build a decent gaming system. anyways I haven't done any research on the new stuff and stuff coming out in the near future so ill wait, my concern is just to get this back up..

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MS-7025
WD raptor hdd
Value Min Max

CPU VCore 1.46V 1.44V 1.48V

+12V 2.01 V 2.01 V 2.07 V
+5V 4.80 V 4.77 V 4.83 V
+3.3V 3.09 V 3.09 V 3.14 V

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Temps
114 98 115

MSI MS-7025
CPU 70 54 70
Mainboard 53 49 53

NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GS
GPU Core
63 61 64

WDC WD740GD-00FLC0
32 31 32

Is this system worth fixing, all I do is use it for media, internet and playing counter strike heh... I am going to buy a new PSU today, based of my specs what type of psu should I buy. Sorry I didn't include memory yet, one of the sticks went bad about 4 months ago and now it is running on only 512, ill reply back in a few when I open the case up and check.

Memory is CORSAIR TwinX CMX512-3200XLPT and even though I have two sticks, system is only reading 1, reading at 512 only so I need to figure out what, if one of the slots are bad or if one of the sticks are bad.

I would like to just replace them since memory is cheap now, any ideas what to upgrade to,

fluffykitten (my kids would love your handle) $1000 to 1500 would allow you to build a really nice system especially with AMD's latest releases. Tremendous Bang for Buck.

Your cpu is a good one and I would say that if your motherboard memory slots turn out to be okay for a minimum cost you could have yourself a servicible second system. I do and at times it has been invaluable.

If that figure is correct on your +12v rail then you certainly need a new psu.

As for the memory, if you are running XP 2 gigs is enough. Kingston Value RAM is good but if you are fine with just one gig of RAM try to make a match with your Corsair. Run memtest to see if the other stick is bad. Also, Corsair should have a lifetime warrenty.

Keep in mind, a bad psu can damage other parts. I'm wondering if a new psu might remedy your RAM issue. Just a thought...

Here is an excellent psu choice with free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

I replaced my PSU with another one that I found from a machine that was built about 10 years ago lol, but it is working and has not shut off yet.

+12 says value 2.19V Min 2.19V Max 2.19V
+5 says value 4.88V Min 4.85V Max 4.91V

Also another problem I noticed on the system board pic included fan is not spinning - had problems in the past with this fan making horrible noise and everything and anything I would do would not work and by luck sometimes it would not make noise but now I notice it does not spin at all now.

Attachments

• MB.jpg
    MB.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2
Screen shot of the readouts with the new PSU, well new being a old one I put in that is about 10 years old until I order a new one.

I posted in the thread PSU voltage readouts with system specs

sorry about the double post, the image of the readouts are in PSU voltage readouts with system specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back