Is my video card dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziad

I was playing a game then, suddenly My PC freezed. I rebooted and to be surprised to have the Blue screen of death. I was able to isolate the problem by going to the device manager in "Safe Mode", disabling the video card & was able to reboot normally. However, the PC acts as if there is NO 3D device as is working on software. I have tried to uninstal the card drivers completely & then reinstalled a newer driver from Nvdia. After installing the new driver, I had to reboot as usuall and that is when I had a blank screen. Whenever I try to renable the device my PC dies from the BSOD or a blank screen.

It could be that while gamming my video card died. However, what intriguing me is that:

I have the video card disabled; Yet it I am still getting a picture from the DVI or VGA out to my moniter. If the card is disabled, How can it transfer a signal to my LCD?? and is my Video Card Dead??

The case has been closed for almost 6 months, Didn't install anything new, and it was working like a clock before :confused: :( :confused:

1. Uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel of Windows.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Download and Install the newest drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

Jesus you are fast :)
First thanks for the help

However, I did try something very close to what you proposed. I uninstalled the drivers from the add/remove. Then I did a thorough clean of the registry, then I manually deleted the files that were from the old Nvidia driver version. Then:
1 enabled the Video card
2 Installed the latest Drivers
3 Rebooted ------>
Which took me to the blank screen with nothing but the hour glass on the screen "Which stays for ever".
Then I did it your way which was the same results. However, your way to uninstall the driver & clean up was much easier & faster
Now I don't see the BSOD, Whenever, I enable the Video Card I get the blank screen without an hour glass. When I reboot I get the blank screen with the hour glass :(((
Do you think that the Video Card is dead??
If it is How can it transfer a signal to my LCD??

Sorry this time a bit slower coming around

Please try Checkdisk Xp, or Checkdisk Vista instructions

Yes I believe a faulty Video card can still show video

Nevermind the speed, atleast you are helping :)
As to our subject, it must be a faulty video card. I am using it Now but, it only is supporting a 640*480 and 4 bit color. So I can see all strange kinds or artifacts & cant tell whether if it's a defect or it's from the low color quality. Plus, right now as the video card is enabled I still can't access the nvidia control panel & the Direct X diagnostic tool says Direct 3D acceleration is not available. As for the check disk I have already done that with multiple tools, before & after contacting you. Still looks like that the video card is fried.

Now that I haven't thought of. It might be of over heating.
I'll try it but I do a systematic cleaning of the inner case with a special vaccum cleaner. Only that was more three months ago.
Kim you are really a special forces guy and I thank you

I have just installed a new 9800 GT, it works fine. However, my system isn't as stable as it used to be. I still cant tell whether it's from the card itself, cause I bought it a middle quality class card "OMANLI", or if it's from the heating cause the fan doesn't have much room for air. Still have to move a PCI card to make sure.
I'll keep you updated & I am always open for suggestions.
I was thinking of testing my case with 3D Mark & see how it will perform under stress. What do you think??

Sorry the Video Card's brand is "Manli", not "Omanli"

Same problem again!!!!

I am having exactly the same old problem again with my new card. Can't set the resolution above 640*480 & 4 color bits.
Still can't figure out the problem.
I don't think it's the motherboard cause it will not have worked on the new card for a couple of days on the new card. I had the chipset drivers updated,
This is sooooooo confusing!!!!!!!!!!

Please do Post#2 again
Yes sometimes computer issues are not logical (1s and 0s nah! There's definitely a 2 in there! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back