Is 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' getting a reboot in CryEngine 3?

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

It appears that the first-person shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R. may be getting a reboot using CryEngine 3. A couple of videos have surfaced on YouTube that appear to show clips from a project called “CryEngine 3 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-Project.” The first one, titled “S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Noises of the Zone Trailer#1 (HD),” is somewhat cinematic, which is typical for a trailer. However, every scene appears to be from within the game engine.

The second video is a bit longer and shows what looks to be actual gameplay footage. Both videos show what appears to be a beautiful remake of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. However, “appears” seems to be the operative word here.

According to HardOCP, “It is unclear what the original source of these clips is, who is running the project, or if it is intended to actually have a public release.”

The videos were uploaded to the Achieved with CryEngine channel, which uses the official CryEngine logo. However, the only other identifying information on the channel is a link a Facebook page with the same name.

The Facebook page has no clues as to the authenticity of the project of any other information other than backlinks to the videos. If this project sounds interesting to you, do not bother chasing your tail looking for more news on it. This information is all that is available at this time. Even a Google search only turns up old information about a remake of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that was being done in CryEngine 2 way back in 2011.

Could this be the same effort? It is unclear, but that project seemed to be headed up by a Russian modding team. The one post on the Achieved with CryEngine Facebook page that would give us a clue appears to be in Hungarian.

Whether S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in CryEngine 3 ever becomes a reality or falls by the wayside like the Cry 2 project remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure; if this remake ever sees a release, fans of the original are going to be blown away. If you do happen to have anymore information, please share it in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

I loved STALKER, was a fun game... kinda buggy, but it was really pushing the limits at the time.

If someone could redo the entire game in a more stable engine but keep all the original features of the game and improve the graphics that would be a win win. Quite a feat though I imagine.

Escape from Tarkov looks to be the best modern alternative to STALKER, which is coming out soon. Unfortunately it is multiplayer only. I really enjoyed the SP experience in STALKER.

I loved STALKER, was a fun game... kinda buggy, but it was really pushing the limits at the time.

If someone could redo the entire game in a more stable engine but keep all the original features of the game and improve the graphics that would be a win win. Quite a feat though I imagine.

I agree. If this is legit, it does seem to be STALKER on a better engine, but there is so much we don't know. Is it really CryEngine 3 (looks like it could be)? Is it really being developed? That is the big question. This could be not much more than a tech demo or proof of concept that will never see the light of day just like the Cry 2 STALKER remake. It's definitely something to keep our eye on.

This is a very well made mod from Crysis. I see many animations from Crysis 2 and 3. The shotgun from Crysis, the animation for reloading the M4 Carbine is the same from the SCAR Light (I think that how the named in Crysis 2 and 3) and the audio effects are the same. No professional game developer would blatantly copy and paste other game resources.

This is a very well made mod from Crysis. I see many animations from Crysis 2 and 3. The shotgun from Crysis, the animation for reloading the M4 Carbine is the same from the SCAR Light (I think that how the named in Crysis 2 and 3) and the audio effects are the same. No professional game developer would blatantly copy and paste other game resources.

You know what? You are damn right. Good eye. I had to go look for myself, but here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s74hirNAJRQ

Start it at 0:35 and watch the shotgun animation then compare to the above video. The shotgun texture a little bit different, but the design is the same including the two elongated horseshoe shaped impressions at the front of the barrel.

Funny, I just replayed this sequel recently - these STALKER games are quite awesome.
The landscape and models look identical as does the head's up display. I doubt it would have all been re-done from scratch. Could someone have figured out how to translate the old database files to run as is in CryEngine?

Sigh... another lack of design innovation... nowadays, games are just sequels - more of the same, or remakes...

Unless gamers ask for something groundbreaking designs and innovations, all we, everything will be monotonous...

But looking at most comments at any website, most gamers are simply being zombies...

Remakes makes corporates milk more money from established games. And gamers who just buy these remakes, just because they are remakes in a newer engine, especially FPS games like this, is ....let's just say the future of games are looking dull...

Sigh... another lack of design innovation... nowadays, games are just sequels - more of the same, or remakes...

Unless gamers ask for something new or groundbreaking in terms of designs and innovations, everything will be monotonous...

But looking at most comments at any website, most gamers are simply being zombies...just swallowing whatever corporates push down their throats...

Remakes help corporates milk more money from established games. And gamers who just buy these remakes, just because they are remakes in a newer engine, especially FPS games like this, is ....let's just say the future of games are looking dull...

Back