Inactive Is thehackernews.com a legit site or was I tricked? Malware/hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I was reading an MSNBC news article about hacking to which they linked to this site. Stupid me I clicked it and it was loading a lot of crap. I closed the browser, but it opened up like 3 times everytime I tried to close it before finally closing...It wasn't pop ups either. The site itself was opening back up.

Did I just get hacked? And why would MSNBC freakin' link to it? Btw, here's the news article, (legit, it isn't malware or anything):

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/24/6706778-hackers-stupid-sony-so-very-stupid

They have the link in there and now I'm paranoid...I did two different virus scans, one using Malwarebytes, another with Symantec. Neither found anything. So what happened? I appreciate any help.

The site itself for Hacker News seems legitimate. But I would not advise clicking on any of the links. In the internet virtual world the RULE is: If you don't know, don't do it!

Are you experiencing any symptoms on the system? I can't tell you what happened because I don't actually know what happened to you or what security you have on your system.

I suggest you do a disc cleanup, deleting the temporary internet files and Cookies, run an Error Check and a defrag. Reboot after finishing.

Consider using a Site Advisor like Web of Trust (WOT) This add-on is a safe surfing tool for your browser. Traffic-light rating symbols show which rate the site for Trustworthiness, Vendor Reliability, Privacy, Child Safety.Your online email account – Google Mail, Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail is also protected.

Every time you do a search and the screen comes up with the sites, they will have the rating light. Green (2 shades), Amber/Yellow Caution, Red> not advised. A few sites haven't been rated and show as a blue flashlight.

If you want to link to another site from the page you're on to another, WOT will give you an Alert that the site is known for fraudulent entries, unreliable or other and the site won't load.
Staying with only those sites marked safe, with a green 'light' will help assure you of site safety.
=======================================
If you have any doubt after that: Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

There is nothing wrong with having some degree of paranoia. But it is best to be more careful before the click!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back