Is there any real difference between thermal paste types, and if so then what's the best?

kameron

I'm currently looking into a CPU upgrade on an older system and I've heard that the CPU I've selected runs pretty hot, so I wanna know if I should invest in a more expensive paste or if it matters what I go with. as for heat sinks I've found ones specifically advertised for the CPU I want so no assistance is needed there.

If you have a cpu that will run hot say like at 3.6ghz its a smart move to get good quality thermal paste.
That will last you atleast a year before cleaning and regreasing it.
If you are running a dual core or lower end quadcore Intel-AMD chips go with this.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...12&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-186-020-_-Product
Long as you don't plan to overclock it will hold out from 6-8 months tops before the tempature starts to rise up again.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...38&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-186-038-_-Product
You use this for higher end Intel Core I5's, Core I7's AMD FX600 and FX8000 series, AMD Ryzen 5 Ryzen 7 CPU.
Both greases aren't that expensive unless of course the makers are running short of materials to produce them and they may jack up the prices for
awhile.

Get a good aftermarket cooler to keep your new cpu cool, if you use the oem stock cooler that comes with it.
Expect the artic-mx thermal paste not to last too long, I've been there and done that.
A few other oldbies here and other technical forums could probably tell you that from experience.

Last edited:
Thank you once again, and like I said I've found heat sinks specifically advertised for the CPU I want and I have a spare side panel for the PC's case so I could also mount an extra fan there, though I somewhat doubt I will need to

Thank you once again, and like I said I've found heat sinks specifically advertised for the CPU I want and I have a spare side panel for the PC's case so I could also mount an extra fan there, though I somewhat doubt I will need to

No problem long as the system case inside doesn't feel muggy and the system monitor shows its hot 60C+ don't sweat it

Back