Is this a video board problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tepeco

When I'm adjusting my many icons and shortcuts on my desktop, often, particularly when I change resolutions, all of the icons will bunch together in the upper left corner of my screen, requiring me to rearrange them again. As I'm dragging them to the right locations, often the mouse travels across the screen, but the image of the icon has frozen part of the way across. It has transparency. I hold my mouse in place waiting, then after some 20 to 30 seconds, the icon snaps into the new spot where my mouse cursor is positioned. Is this a video card "overload" problem? My video is on-board, as delivered in the machine.

Should I consider replacing this on-board video or do I have another problem? It's been this way since new.

If I move a file or file folder by dragging with the mouse, it will happen. Not every time, but enough to irritate me. If I make the move really slow, it doesn't seem to happen as often.

First I would run the 8 Steps processes found elsewhere on this forum, then update all the drivers for your computer... Download all. Know where you can find them, then one at a time, remove or delete the old ones in System->Hardware->Device Manager.

Okay, raybay, I'll give that a go, even though the 8 steps are mostly redundant. My computer is clean and I stick to business. I'm not a gamer, I'm a photography graphics guy with a compulsive desire for privacy and no desire to socialize online.

I have to say though, so far, I like the suggested programs in the steps shown. They've been working all day scanning through half a million files. Nothing yet. SuperAntiSpyware is working right now. Got a ways to go yet. Do you think it's really necessary to download and re-install every driver on my machine. God, that's one hell of a lot of replacement. At this point, I'm pretty sure all drivers are up to date already.

Since I started this thread I might add that I also notice that my mouse clicks have often required 2, 3 or 4 tries lately. If I slow down, it seems to be less problematic. Something's up!

Okay, raybay, I'll give that a go, even though the 8 steps are mostly redundant. My computer is clean and I stick to business. I'm not a gamer, I'm a photography graphics guy with a compulsive desire for privacy and no desire to socialize online.

I have to say though, so far, I like the suggested programs in the steps shown. They've been working all day scanning through half a million files. Nothing yet. SuperAntiSpyware is working right now. Got a ways to go yet. Do you think it's really necessary to download and re-install every driver on my machine. God, that's one hell of a lot of replacement. At this point, I'm pretty sure all drivers are up to date already.

Since I started this thread I might add that I also notice that my mouse clicks have often required 2, 3 or 4 tries lately. If I slow down, it seems to be less problematic. Something's up!

I highly doubt that it would be a driver problem. Is it when you are changing resolution to a larger resolution that they bunch up, or when you are changing to a smaller resolution? It sounds like a CPU overload to me. So probably is some sort of virus. Have you noticed any other performance drops other than this?

update on my problem....

Dr. Vader, no, I have not had any other problems. Actually, while these problems have been going on, I've been doing some light video editing using Ulead's Movie Factory V6 and I had no slowdown while working with the video files. All of the finished DVDs have burned and played just fine. If anything can overload a system, video production can. Oh, and no, these happenings didn't ocur while the editing/rendering/burning processes were actually going on. When working video, no other work is performed on the machine.

After going through and completing 6 of the steps in the 8 step procedure suggested by Raybay, I seem to have fixed the problem. I didn't have any viruses reported by Antivir, nor did I have any Malware picked up by the AntiMalware scan, however I did have about 600 objects picked up by the superantispyware scan. I scanned twice and the second time, got no objects. Unfortunately, I accidentally erased the first log with all the crap in it so I can't share the results of the first scan.

Since 2pm yesterday and the last 3 hours this morning, I've had no problems at all. I just changed resolution back and forth 3 times and everything has worked fine. No icon freezes either. I'll keep my attention to this and report again if something changes.

Update #2, add this to the 8 step proceedure!

After reporting everything working okay, and it remaining so all day, I proceeded to upgrade my video board, replacing the onboard card with a new nVidia card and of course, that requires opening the case and moving things around. When I put it all together again and attached all the wires, I booted and to my surprise, my mouse was screwing up again and the execution of almost every mouse click was a frustration to complete. Nearly 100% failure of the mouse. I like to never got the new drivers to the video board loaded and began to question everything I had done.

Then it came to me like a bolt of lightning...... Alas, the one thing I didn't consider and the first one I should have suspected..... the mouse and keyboard.... they are wireless! I moved the location of the sending unit, reset the signals and it brought everything back to speed and accuracy. What a simple thing to overlook.

In doing the 8 step procedure, perhaps the 1st one should be to re-seat all wires on the back of the unit, disconnect all periferals and for the purpose of troubleshooting, go back to a simple wired mouse and keyboard.

I now have a speed demon, new and great working utilities and a new video board to see everything work better! Thank you all for being helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back