Is this mobo compatible with this processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a new/replacement mobo im looking at buying. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...id=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=MAIN#ReviewStart

now on the website for the manufacturer, http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=440

that's saying my processor, which all i remember off the top of my head is a 2.6 ghz pentium 4 , isnt compatible because the speed of my processor isnt posted on the biostar site.

would my processor really not be compatible?

Ill try to find out more specific specs of my processor.

Why question it when there are so many boards and so many processors available. Have you already purchased?

lmao, i question it because the 2.6 ghz processor is the one i already own and i have a dead mobo atm. i was trying to find another mobo that would fit my processor and also had ide support so i can still use my current hard drive. I havn't bought the new mobo yet cuz if it wont even work with my current processor, im not going to bother. and i would already have to buy new ram since the newer mobo is ddr2.

Good Thinking.
The BioStar will likely work fine. It is a good board, but the price is lower elsewhere.
You might consider doing a gurgle search for Socket 478 motherboard... or search for Socket 478 on Newegg, Frys, Directron, PCMall, CDW, and other sites.

The difficulty may be in setup, but the BioStar has good instructions, unless you have experience in motherboard installs, or have a knowledgeable friend. It is almost never a straight plug in and replace... Some tweaking may be in order on a lot of them.

Also, you have other items to worry about.... how does it fit your case? How well does the CPU cooler fit, etc.

The other side of the argument is that you might find a newer CPU AND a great board for little more money.

I'm sort of flabbergasted here that you can buy a 945 chipset board with a socket 478. I thought that they were killed after 8xx series.

Most of the 478 CPUs ran with DDR, and not the DDR2 which this board carries. Have you got the specs on your memory, because there's a possibility that you might have to buy that too.

If you do decide to go this route, remember it's a dead end. There's not much left in the market with respect to 478 CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back