Is this the best omnidirectional treadmill for gaming yet?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

oculus rift treadmill infinideck omnidirectional treadmill

The Oculus Rift headset could very well be the breakthrough that virtual reality has been waiting on. But there are still a couple of major hurdles to overcome as it relates to supporting hardware – specifically, I’m talking about how to physically traverse while wearing it.

Since it’s tethered via cables, walking about freely isn’t exactly an option (never mind the fact that you’d be bumping into all sorts of nearby obstacles). Some have come forward with solutions to this problem but most have been less than impressive thus far.

Enter the Infinadeck, an omnidirectional treadmill that allows you to walk in any direction at nearly any speed without ever stepping off the edge of the platform. The device was recently on display at the inaugural Silicon Valley Virtual Reality conference and as Gizmodo points out, it looks a bit more refined and compact than other omnidirectional treadmills we’ve seen but it’s still far from perfect.

In its current state, the user must manually adjust the speed and direction of the belts. Fortunately, Infinadeck’s creators are working on a number of improvements like built-in motion and tracking sensors to eliminate the requirement. 

Of course, the oculus rift and gaming in general is only one potential usage scenario for the treadmill. Some will no doubt be interested in using it for exercise purposes or perhaps for other uses that escape me right now.

Permalink to story.

C.O.O.L. I love this stuff.

Computer gaming and health fitness in one package is the way of the future, so people no longer have to compromise on for the other.

The original Omni looked a bit claustrophobic to me. But this one is just the right size and motion freedom. Plus that idea of a special footwear isn't very practical.

This one, on another hand, can perhaps even let girls wear high heels, if they want to. Say, if you are in a virtual ballroom, then it kind of makes sense :)

Last edited:
I want one 4x bigger than that so I can put my kids in the middle ;)
What's the point, if you are wearing an Oculus? Not only you won't be able to interact with them, but you will be constantly bumping into each other blind, which would be very awkward, never mind dangerous. This setup is for one person only.

It was a joke, I was hinting that you would leave them there all day and they couldn't get off. At least one of them anyway. A day care they can’t escape, though it wouldn’t take very good care of them hence it was only a silly joke :)

This thing should scare the crap out of people. Imagine this technology advanced to the point where it's so reactive that you literally cannot get off it, no matter how fast you run, and you can't even jump off it. This is the perfect prison. Ingenious contraption, really. You'd probably die of thirst in record time after exhausting yourself trying to get free. It's an inspired torture device.

This thing should scare the crap out of people. Imagine this technology advanced to the point where it's so reactive that you literally cannot get off it, no matter how fast you run, and you can't even jump off it. This is the perfect prison. Ingenious contraption, really. You'd probably die of thirst in record time after exhausting yourself trying to get free. It's an inspired torture device.

Just walk flat footed :)

I wonder how a more advanced treadmill would respond to invisible walls that are all too common in videogames

That is evil, I love it! XD

This would be a better way to level up than grinding or purchasing. If you want to get to the next level, walk 10 clicks.

Ehh... just lay down, you'll slide off.

Back