Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Here is the responce i received from asrock after memory compatibility/stability issues. My memory will not run at 1066 mhz even though my mobo and cpu support it.

"Hello,

DDR2-1066 is supported in combination with an AM2+ CPU like you have. The memory controller in integrated in the CPU. And some CPU’s have problems handling memory at DDR2-1066 frequency. I am not sure if there is any difference between using 1 or multiple modules at this frequency.

The [Auto] setting in BIOS automatically chooses a lower frequency to increase compatibility/stability. Normally it is no problem to set it manually to the correct frequency (DDR2-1066, 533 MHz). But probably because the CPU cannot handle it correctly, you get these stability issues.

DDR2-800 setting should be stable.

Best regards,

ASRock Support"

Is there any truth in this?? Or am i being fobbed off :)

If it is stability related than it would make sense for it to run it at a slower speed. IF you force it I will assume it doesn't run stable. Besides the difference between 1066Mhz and 800Mhz wont be too noticable. I also just saw that your running 8GN of RAM so that means 4 sticks? That could also be part of the problem. Due to chipset limitations... Bla Bla Bla that could be part of the problem.

Hi Fimbles.
yes that can be true. i don't know however if you got that answer so he/she could be done with you or not. i see you have 8Gb 2x4Gb modules. some boards have say 8 or 16 Gb capacity, but buck when more than 4Gb is installed. try this, remove 4 gb(2 modules) and see if it is stable. make sure you keep the 2 modules in the same channel so you don't de-activate dual channel. if it does stabilize you will have your answer.

Thanks for the replies.

You just explained that better than any tech support has in the last week! i think ill stick with the 8 gig at 800, rather than 4 at 1066:)

My motherboard manual says it will support up to 16 gb! hehehe

LOL fimbles, i did the same thing....my computer ocd just didn't like the look of empty Dimms, so i loaded em all up! LOL I never use more than 3 Gb....but it looks cool :) have a great day fimbles

Yup it looks cool! But it did cost nearly 50 pounds more expensive than the ddr 800 aswell :) 124 pounds in total.......But ofc coolness is more important than money !!

have a good day too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back