Issues, 7600GT 512MB and 7600gt 256MB, SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayss523

I cannot get my sparkle 512MB 7600GT to work in SLI configuration with my EVGA 256MB 7600GT. It became a real problem when I updated supreme commander, it stopped being able to run at all. I have it setup in a dual monitor mode but the Nvidia driver confuration tool only recognizes one display, and yet it lets me use them both as 2 desktops etc.. WTF?

I went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest driver and now I can't play anything, I have a thousand dollar internet browser.

Try putting the card with the lesser VRAM, (the EVGA) into the primary PCI-E slot if it's not already there.

It is also my understanding that with SLI enabled it is not compatible with multiple monitor setups.

Click here for SLI FAQs that can give you more details.

If you want them to work in SLI get another 512 or 256 model, They have to be EXACTLY the same, especially the memory. You can't cross SLI 512 and 256's =]

Ideally the two cards should be the same but sometimes small differences can be tolerated. Check the FAQs I linked to in my post above which is from part of nVidia's own website.

When one card has more VRAM than the other, the card with less memory has to be installed in the primary PCI-Express slot to run SLI. Additionally, you will need to change the CoolBits registry string and change its value to 18. This automatically disables a certain amount of memory banks on the other card, making all things equal between them. This can't work in the other way because, well, you can't just magically create memory banks, as nice as that would be.

Whats Coolbits?

_ edit found it

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=7711

BTW it wroks gloriously now, I can play supreme commander at max settings on the largest map with no problem. Same with Dawn Of War

SLI allows for a lot of headroom, especially in situations like yours. Not to mention it's so easy to set up. No wonder it's the most popular dual-GPU configuration today.

if i use two cards i have to go crossfire, which breaks my heart, because my g80 ultra beats out 2900xt in crossfire in many benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back