John Romero releases his first Doom II level since 1994 to support Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Doom co-creator John Romero has released an all-new map for classic FPS Doom 2 that will help humanitarian efforts in Ukraine. It marks the first level for the game that Romero has released since it launched almost 30 years ago, back in 1994.

Romero tweeted that the new level is priced at five euros ($5.54), 100% of which will be used to support the people of Ukraine through donations to the Red Cross and the UN Central Emergency Response Fund.

To play the level, called One Humanity, you will need an original copy of Doom 2 and a modern source port. The .WAD contains a readme text file as well as the external mod data, and it can be downloaded up to three times after purchase. It’s available to buy now from Romero’s website.

This isn’t Romero’s first return to map-making. The developer, who left id Software in 1996, published the first Doom level he’d created in over two decades back in 2016: a reimagined version of the original's E1M8 stage called Tech Gone Bad.

Romero also released Sigil in 2019, the unofficial spiritual successor to the fourth episode of Doom. The add-on pack features nine single-player levels and nine deathmatch levels. You can still download it for free here—there’s also the option to pay 6.66 euros for a copy bundled with a soundtrack from one-time Guns N' Roses guitarist Buckethead. Romero is currently working on a sequel to Sigil, called, unsurprisingly, Sigil 2.

In related news, EA Sports has just announced that it will be removing Russian and Belarusian teams from NHL 22 and FIFA 22 in response to the invasion of Ukraine.

Permalink to story.

I don't support Ukraine or the Asov Battalion.

Don't believe in the following?
Article 1 - Self-determination

9. The basic principle of self-determination is at the core of American political life, as the nation was born in a struggle against the colonial regime of the British during the eighteenth century. The right to self-determination, set forth in article 1 of the Covenant, is reflected in Article IV, Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution, which obliges the federal government to guarantee to every State a "Republican Form of Government". Implicitly, this article ensures that every state will be governed by popularly elected officials. Similarly, Articles I and II of the Constitution, as amended by the Twelfth, Seventeenth, Twentieth, Twenty-second, and Twenty-third Amendments to the Constitution, and the second clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, describe in detail the manner by which the national government is to be elected. The right to vote in federal, state, and local elections is also implicit, for it is the "essence of a democratic society". Reynolds v. Sims, 377 U.S. 533, 555 (1964). The states are permitted to set the qualifications for voting, but the states are limited by the Fifteenth, Nineteenth, Twenty-fourth, and Twenty-sixth Amendments from restricting the franchise on the basis of race, colour, previous condition of servitude, sex, failure to pay a poll tax, or for being under any age except 18 years. Hence, the people of the United States are free in law and in practice to determine their "political status" within the structure of the Constitution, and to change the Constitution itself through amendment. There have been 27 such amendments since the founding of the Republic, beginning with the Bill of Rights (Amendments I-X) in 1791.

10. The right to pursue economic and cultural development is not mentioned, in such terms, in the U.S. Constitution, yet it is among the most fundamental principles that define American society. The essential civil and political rights guaranteed by the Constitution and the Covenant, and a free market economy, provide the basis for free and liberal pursuit of economic or cultural development, with virtually no restraint save for those necessary to protect public safety and welfare.

11. Property rights are specifically protected by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments, which guarantee that neither the states nor the federal government may deprive one of property without due process or take property for public use without fair compensation. The Constitution does not, however, protect persons or corporations from reasonable economic regulation by both the states and the federal government. Cultural life, on the other hand, is generally protected by the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and association which are very broadly construed, as discussed below in connection with Articles 18, 19, 21 and 22.

Ah yes, the typical excuse used by Putin bomb a whole country and kill children. I will forever remember this.

@Steve or some other admin please close this thread before it turns into a full on flame war in the comments with people throwing insults against this guy.

I normally quite like that techspot has a wide range of posters - but yeah unlike the usual USA slanging match - this could be at another level .
Saying that I called that troll the other day spouting his drivel - to show proof - nothing came ,
People go down these rabbit holes - thinking they are hearing special inside info - that will come out and blow peoples mind when they see the truth .
I asked those people - how long have you been waiting for these inside stories of child molesters , devil worshipers , lizard people to finally break out ?.
How long as each story goes no where - and the next one breathlessly is spoken about .
Even climate change deniers - this guy is a genius 5 different degrees - he's going to blow the fake climate bs wipe open - Climate Deniers have read stories like this for 30 years - not one of them amount to anything.
No lizard people have been found. No network of Devil worshippers , no child molesters in Pizza shop.

I'm asking yous who believe this stuff year after year - when is the big reveal coming - let me tell you a secret - it's not coming - you are not party to super inside knowledge - you are are useful gullible tool.
QR - can't post his stuff here not because of the draconian techspot censorship = simply because it's vaporwave - it can stand the light of the day .
Let's look at Turkey joining the EU - do you think we don't know about ethnic cleansing , do you think we don't know about that have not admitted to the Armenian genocide .
Do you think that only the info you get from troll farms is valid .
We know about Saudi Arabia ( well most of it ) .
We know many USA secret wars and ordered killings .
So you are too afraid to say why Ukraine should not exist ?- it's because deep down you know you have swallowed propaganda - and you don't want to be honest with yourself .

I've had a 3 or 4 posts here excised for off topic /not appropriate - so what - Mod was probably right - and it really didn't matter as except for useful tech tips and info - we know what we write will have little affect . I'm just hoping you will think one day "Why is there never a big reveal " why didn't JFK turn up the other day alive ?- Just show me one big reveal from the last 20 years - just one - that is now accepted as the universal truth - and you think only BC is a scam

Russia are claiming the reason they invaded was to wipe out the Nazi state in Ukraine.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy - the president of Ukraine - is a Jew. I think that says all you need to know about the Russian regime and the level of bulls**t they are willing to spout to justify this invasion - and also just how deeply stupid Putin really is.

Russia are claiming the reason they invaded was to wipe out the Nazi state in Ukraine.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy - the president of Ukraine - is a Jew. I think that says all you need to know about the Russian regime and the level of bulls**t they are willing to spout to justify this invasion - and also just how deeply stupid Putin really is.
I don't think Putin is stupid. But the 'seeing both sides' crowd along with the professional contrarians that parrot his lines certainly are.

Nice gesture of John Romero, but, we cant permit to join another crisis. This is a eastern europe backyard problem. Let them deal with it. This is a issue that has bin going on since the 90's. And UKR is a country that initially was voted "No" to in a referendum, and now suddenly gains access to the EU. Because of that in Europe we are all at risk. It's a extremely hostile situation right now.

Do not forget, RU is a military country with a arsenal of nukes as large to clear out the entire universe. It could mean end of mankind pretty much for all we know if this truely escalates. So yeah, lets just boycot a country that is doing whats in their interest and not really our problem.

Its bin warned a war was coming. Then dont stick around. If your life means anything to you get your stuff and gtfo. In war there are no rules. In war there is no friendly threatment. A war is death and pain with no winners.

Its bin warned a war was coming. Then dont stick around. If your life means anything to you get your stuff and gtfo. In war there are no rules. In war there is no friendly threatment. A war is death and pain with no winners.
Get your stuff and go where? Neighboring countries that have their own problems and are not necessarily equipped and/or willing to deal with large groups of refugees? And then what happens if those are next? Everybody just gradually moves towards the North Sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back