Just got my computer repaired - WinXP, no sound from the speakers

I just got my computer repaired and i seem to get sound from my cpu if the speaker wire is half way in. I dont understand how could sound come out of the cpu and it sounds so crappy. So i plugged the wire fully through and no sound is coming from the speakers.
I checked Device manager and nothing wrong there. I also checked control panel - audio devices, SoundMAX Digital Audio is also working.
I have no idea what's going on, i could ask the person who repaired but i cant at this moment and i really want to fix this asap.

I just had a problem with SoundMAX myself. Driver did not load at start, so I uninstalled and re-installed Soundmax

This sounds as if it's a problem with the input socket on the PC. Can you prove if the speakers are working in stereo, by plugging them into an MP3 player or headphone socket of a stereo radio, or moblie phone ? If you do get stereo sound, then the problem is most likely to be the contacts in the socket of the PC. Could be repaired by tweaking the metal contacts in the socket, or replacing the socket. I would check this first.

Back