Kaspersky identifies the most sophisticated Android trojan to date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

android trojan impossible remove android trojan

A new trojan recently identified as “Backdoor.AndroidOS.Obad.a” is being described by Kaspersky as the most sophisticated Android trojan to date. The nasty bit of code utilizes several undocumented security holes to wreak havoc in a number of different ways.

Once the trojan successfully infects a device, its first goal is to obtain Device Administrator rights. If successful, it can’t be deleted and enjoys additional privileges as it is able to hide itself from the list of running applications.

So what sort of chaos can this trojan cause? Well, for starters, it’s able to send SMS messages to premium-rate numbers to collect revenue for the attacker. If that weren’t enough, it can download and install other malware on the device and even spread malware to nearby handsets over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Obad even allows an attacker to issue malicious commands via SMS.

Kaspersky Lab expert Roman Unuchek noted in a blog post that this looks more like a Windows malware than to other Android trojans based on the complexity and the sheer number of previously unknown vulnerabilities it expoits.

The good news for Android owners (if you can call it that) is that the trojan’s reach isn’t widespread at this point. At present, Obad represents just 0.15 percent of all malware infection attempts on mobile devices. The team at Kaspersky has already reported their findings to Google and with any luck, a fix will be incoming in the near future.

Permalink to story.

And that isn't automatically installed, a stupid user must still press on 'install' and grant the requested permissions for that thing to work. Most users don't even have 'unknown sources' enabled so it's basically harmless to the average Android user unless some are retarded enough to allow in a suspicious app.

Dr. Web Lite on Android does it all. Use Play Store or 1 Mobile Market and don't slide load apps to your tablet. Just keep a watch on things. Tablet or Smart Phone.

The sad part is that ppl are so connected to thier phones and tablets now. I hear it all the time "I cant live without my phone". What makes it sad is the ease of use. Theres a app for EVERYTHING!! And if there isnt, one will be downloadable in 10 mins. The reason I bring this up is that SO many ppl do personal stuff on thier phones and tablets. Banking, mortgage, ect. A malware of this type could be devistating to the average consumer, who is too lazy to go to thier bank in person, checks thier phone/tablet, ends up with no money because they got a trojan malware. Its kinda scary how quickly this is comming into effect. And given this particular malware can transmit itself over wifi or BT, it makes it even scarier as NO ONE SECURES THIER PHONES!!!! Oh sure theres a screen lock pattern or pin. But this malware bypasses this by hitting wifi and BT. I would suggest that ppl momitor thier downloads. Make sure the apps of from APPROVED sources. And for gods sake put your phone in airplane mode when in public and not useing it.

Reading this is like watching those stupid disaster advertisements created by insurance companies.

If it looks and sounds like an advertisement, it must be one :)

This is only credible when it comes from an analytic who doesn't keep fingers in antivirus sales. Otherwise it is either bias or just plain BS.

Reading this is like watching those stupid disaster advertisements created by insurance companies.

If it looks and sounds like an advertisement, it must be one :)

This is only credible when it comes from an analytic who doesn't keep fingers in antivirus sales. Otherwise it is either bias or just plain BS.
What the hell is wrong with you?

LOL as compared to Kaspersky's garbage software wrecking havoc on computer systems, I think I'd rather have the trojan. At least it won't release updates that completely kill my Windows install, or lock my phone up rendering it useless

Back