KDE vs. GNOME

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BiZ

I've noticed a few problems with KDE. The file manager will not inflate which is very annoying, and it wont seem to run exe files (I.E nwn.exe). They're not really problems, just annoying. Considering that KDE is a much better looking desktop and is alot more customizable than GNOME. I like to run KDE for the look but i cant play Neverwinter Nights it in so i have to log out and back in under GNOME.

From using GNOME everything works fine except for a small confusion while inflating folders (opening /home/biz/nwn and it installing into the highlighted "data").

This is just something random i thought of to post while having the problems with KDE.
So what are your opinions?

I like both KDE and Gnome - though I like gnome a bit more. You will need Wine to run an exe in linux. I think you're talking about decompressing files and it should be no problem depending on the file format - just need to know the commands.

gnome probably is *slightly* more of a resource hog than KDE, but they are both kind of ridiculous compared to some of the lighter window managers.

I Rather use Gnome over KDE. But blackbox is nice and lite if you're just running a server. BiZ :: You need to use wine. you should take a look here

I prefer fluxbox. Gnome and KDE are resource hoggers. It's usually personal preference.
Ofcourse linux doesn't have native support for win32 programs (.exe). You should use WINE.

and what do you mean by 'inflating folders'?

Windows manager for a server? Mine never sees the light of day, errr init5.

I just installed Debian on an old Compaq with a PII 450 for my girlfriend's mom. It's going to have KDE as the default, because

S3 Savage vid card + Generic Savage Drivers + Gnome + Yahoo mail = one big mess. Black dots on a grey background take over parts of the screen.

*EDIT* : It's Flash Player 7!!! I did a reinstall of Debian, and started using KDE, and thought I was in the clear, until... I installed Flash player 7, then display drivers were usesless for konqueror or any web browser.

I may configure blackbox for her, but I doubt I'll have time before Xmas. I did install it for future use. I'm curious how she'll do with KDE, with Windows being her only OS exposure, and limited at that.

I prefer KDE, but to me it all comes down to personal preference. If you're running Linux as your main desktop OS, Gnome and KDE are the best choices.

BiZ said:
The file manager will not inflate which is very annoying

Huh?

and it wont seem to run exe files (I.E nwn.exe).

Wine/Cedega is probably not set up right. You should be able to associate exe files with wine or Cedega, and have things work again.

Anyway, I prefer KDE, because I think it is based on a better toolkit, and because it doesn't presume that I will want the defaults and only the defaults, no matter how sane.

I like Gnome a little bit more than KDE. It just feels better for me. Both are heavier than the other lighter window managers.

I like them both, but I hate Nautilus in GNOME. I think it is the most annoying thing ever. Other than that I think they are both nice.

BiZ said:
I've noticed a few problems with KDE. The file manager will not inflate which is very annoying, and it wont seem to run exe files (I.E nwn.exe). They're not really problems, just annoying. Considering that KDE is a much better looking desktop and is alot more customizable than GNOME. I like to run KDE for the look but i cant play Neverwinter Nights it in so i have to log out and back in under GNOME.

From using GNOME everything works fine except for a small confusion while inflating folders (opening /home/biz/nwn and it installing into the highlighted "data").

This is just something random i thought of to post while having the problems with KDE.
So what are your opinions?

As others mentioned, you just need to setup file assocation for ".EXE" to have Cedega launch it. Do you have a Transgaming subscription? If so, you should always download the latest Cedega installer (which includes point2play) and install that locally. Once installed, it can auto update itself and will track all your installed games.

What do you mean by "not inflate"? Do you mean decompress from archives? The programs unzip and unrar, if installed, will provide decompression support for Konq. Konq doesn't do that natively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back