Keeping clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

teachme1

I have a 4-year old desktop with the Windows XP OS (he). The CPU is a Intel, Celeron, 256 MB of Ram. 1.20 ghz, 1200 mhz
It is running smooth now, and I want to keep it that way. is there anything that I can do to keep it operating well? The startup seems a little slow, but I have been keeping it on hibernate after 2 hours of non-use
I run these programs weekly: Lavasoft Adware, 2007, Avast Anti-virus, Ccleaner,
Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, WinPatrol. I use the Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 browser.
You all helped me get my laptop running smooth a few months ago, and I want to keep the desktop in good shape.
Thanks for all the help.

I don't recommend you run any registry cleaning ect.

Defrag and diskcleanup can help

============

In firefox go to Tools -> Options -> Update Tab

Make sure to check the box to Automatically check for updates for firefox

============

As far as how long the computer takes to boot, Winpatrol does a good job of managing startups, Right click on scotty in the system tray -> Select Display Startup Info -> Click on programs you don't need then click Disable

Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software <-Guide

============

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

• IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

Add Spywareblaster to control ActiveX

Run a firewall

Install a router (for Adsl or cable modems) even if you only have one system.

Personally, I avoid Google Toolbar, as Firefox does well enough on its own.

Update FF to 2.0.13

Configure your email reader to be scanned by your AV product.

AVOID exposing the system to known hazards, eg MySpace and YouTube!

Don't download Poker games; Don't visit Prono sites; these are known to
have lots of torjans and virus'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back