Keeping your computer running good

D

DavidBailey

I've spent the last 21 years learning how to keep my computer working nicely.
It works nicely.
Some want something for nothing.
It doesn't work like that with computer usage.
& it constantly changes.
When people with experience try to help you keep your attitude to yourself & try what they suggest.
If you are asking for help it shows you don't know what you are doing to start with.
Learn to use Google.
With proper search terms.
I could expand on this thread.
But won't.
Use Google......

Let me Google that for you. ROFL. Google is my friend. If you can't solve your problem, give TS members a chance to help you. Here let me Google that for you! TechSpot is the place to be for the best Tech Articles and a whole lot more. Click link and let Google find TS. Wait while Google finds it for you!:D
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TechSpot

Last edited:
Hi! Wondering If I would get into trouble if I asked "How many members here on TS respond to problem threads"? (Ask a question, ect) I love the Tech Articles, but my thing is to help TS members solve their problems.
Any way I want to invite any and everyone to join me on threads where I'm suggesting the little knowledge that I have learned from others, to members here on TS. My way of paying back!;)

There you go friend. ROFL. That will work also. Team work is a good thing.;) What do you think @DavidBailey ?
Techspot is good.
Good help here. :)

Unless you are on the level of Bill Gates, or Albert Einstein, or Sir Issac Newton, learning to keep your computer running good takes a LONG time.
If you make mistakes that should be considered a learning experience.
Edison tried about 5,000 things before he got the light bulb right.
He didn't give up. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Wondering If I would get into trouble if I asked "How many members here on TS respond to problem threads"? (Ask a question, ect) I love the Tech Articles, but my thing is to help TS members solve their problems.
Any way I want to invite any and everyone to join me on threads where I'm suggesting the little knowledge that I have learned from others, to members here on TS. My way of paying back!;)
This forum is small.
There are a few that try to correct issues.
I am optimistic this will change in the future.
You cannot increase traffic without "word-of-mouth".
The better you do the more traffic you get. :)

This forum is small.
The help forum is only a side dish to the articles being published. It's the articles that make up the traffic for Techspot. And along the way you get a few that need help. Techspot really is not a help forum. Helping is not the main dish and it is not being advertised as such either.

Techspot really is not a help forum. Helping is not the main dish and it is not being advertised as such either.

What kind of forum is it then ?

I see a lot of people asking for help.
& getting help.
What is "the main dish" ?

The help forum is only a side dish to the articles being published. It's the articles that make up the traffic for Techspot. And along the way you get a few that need help. Techspot really is not a help forum. Helping is not the main dish and it is not being advertised as such either.
Hi! That is totally true. There are just a few of us that like helping with members issues, but the Tech Articles are what this forum is mainly about. The few of us that hang around here for the help side, work as a team and that's a good thing. I'm not sure if that's always been true. I enjoy passing forward what I have learned from others. I don't want this to a 24/7 job, and for myself, I have had plenty to respond to sense becoming a member here on TS. Join me any time on threads where I'm helping.Team work is good!;)

The articles educate people on tech topics. That makes up over 90% of the traffic. Techspots main goal is keeping this traffic. Helping is an additional benefit for those that visit. The biggest majority though are enthusiast and don't require help.

Hi! That is totally true. There are just a few of us that like helping with members issues, but the Tech Articles are what this forum is mainly about.

It is my experience that people contact forums because they cannot solve their problems on their own.
They wouldn't know how to search help articles on a forum.
Or any place else.
We are not all Newtons or Einstein's.
I'll go away before I get more upset.
Or banned. :(

If TechSpot isn't about helping people why does it exist ?
Hi @DavidB You are doing a great job here on TS IMHO. Keep up the good work. @cliffordcooley has been here for ever and he knows what this forum is all about. He's also appreciated by this old man. I'm still learning new things. If we keep learning and helping others, we will all gain from this experience! We know who the members are that offer help, and as long as we work as a team, this will be a great forum.

The articles educate people on tech topics. That makes up over 90% of the traffic. Techspots main goal is keeping this traffic. Helping is an additional benefit for those that visit. The biggest majority though are enthusiast and don't require help.
Without word of mouth any forum like this without referrals will fail.
I don't really care.
I have tried to help & it has gone unheard.

Without word of mouth any forum like this without referrals will fail.
I don't really care.
Hi My Friend! Believe me your help has been noticed. Please take a deep breath. Not everyone will respond back to you when you offer your help. That's the way the world is. Just enjoy knowing you are trying to help someone and relax a little. If you offered good advise, there's a good chance you gave the right response and the issue was fixed, and the person moved on.;)

Firstly - I'm not trying to frustrate you. I'm not even sure why you are getting frustrated. Perhaps I'm getting a dose of my own medicine so to speak. I think I have been frustrated before, and the person I was talking with probably had no idea why.
You are doing fine. Just look at your like/post ratio. That's a terrific ratio. I'm simply suggesting that helping seems to be the topic of this discussion and that is not the main objective of this site. When you mentioned this forum was small I attached that to the discussion topic which was helping. There is a difference in helping and article discussion.

As for word of mouth, that may be true. But word of mouth is not what brought me to Techspot. After searching several topics and realizing I was brought to Techspot quite frequently, I decided to create an account. That has been nearly ten years ago now.

I think we all get discouraged at times, but I see a lot knowledge here on TS. As long as the handful of us work as a team and leave our EGO's home, we will make a difference here on TS and others will join us!:D I think this can be a great help forum, even if that's not the primary objection!(y)

I'm really confused on why this topic exists. Could be the way it was written but are you applying to the people that post for help with limited information regarding the issue? If so, you must not have helped many people cause that is a common occurrence....every where.

Helping people can be a thankless. You get used to it with experience.

I help when I can, especially if I've dealt with the issue/question. If the OP/user doesn't use my suggestion, I move on. So don't sweat it and have fun.

Computers are these days far more reliable in both hardware and software terms. Consequently, there are less problems and the more intelligent try to sort things for themselves with search engines to guide them. Many of the posts for help are rightly ignored because you can't fix stupid. I've had my fill of the clueless, the rude and those who never get back to say whether or not the problem was sorted. I suggested to an individual who refused to reinstall Windows after having a serious virus that he make a contribution to Broni for all the time he had put in on several occasions. The answer was that he was old and too poor to donate. For those with more patience and limitless time to waste carry on the good work. However, holdum323 making a lot of noise about teamwork and "giving it his best shot" is starting to grate. (Sorry if that's upsetting but buzz words soon become annoying) The number of posts worth responding to is so small that teamwork is the only way to eke out the work. Times change and the forum is rightly concentrating on tech news and reviews rather than tech support.

I ignore posts that are just too stupid to respond to.
Sometimes I just post a Google link.
Giving an answer & a hint at the same time.
I use Opera.
I can just highlight text & click "Search".
Picture---
screenshot_22.jpg

I find help with many issues this way.
A lot of people can't even think of how to research their problems.
That's what we are for. :)
I've seen billions of issues from people that "formatted" their computers & ended up with countless problems.
You don't format it.
The OS creates its' own partitions when installed.
I did use MTPW to merge 17GBs of unallocated space to my C: drive once & it stuck. :)
That's all though.
I've tried to avoid really stupid questions.
But, I try to help if I can.
People wanting to install Windows 10 are always asking how to change boot order.
You don't need to !
Just extract the iso to a thumb drive & click the setup.exe file.
The instructions for this are clearly explained on the Microsoft site.
{I won't provide a link to it because you can find it yourself.}
Stupid people make me crazy !!!!!!!
I'm done ranting.
I feel better now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back