Key Lime Pie is out, KitKat is in as codename for next Android version

Shawn Knight

Staff member

android google nestle android kitkat kitkat

Key Lime Pie has been given the boot as the codename for the next version of Android in favor of KitKat. No, today isn’t April Fools’ Day – apparently Google reached out to the candy maker and a deal was made to use the trademarked name as the codename for the next version of Android.

KitKat is the trademarked name of the candy bar made by Nestle and licensed by Hersey in the US. According to Android director of partnerships John Lagerling, the decision to move away from Key Lime Pie came after they realized very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie.

As the story goes, KitKat is apparently a favorite snack among Android coders. Late last year, someone suggested using that name for the upcoming version of Android (4.4, not 5.0) and within 24 hours of reaching out to Nestle, an agreement was made. It’s said to be the type of deal where no money changes hands but rather a marketing opportunity for both parties.

key lime pie kitkat android nestle android version dessert

Google has traditionally named each Android version after a dessert: cupcake, donut, éclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwich, jelly bean and now, KitKat.

To help promote the partnership, Google and Nestle are launching a Willy Wonka-style promotion starting September 6 that will give candy bar buyers a chance to win a Nexus 7 or Google Play credits. Just look for the specially branded KitKat bars featuring the Android robot in stores.

Permalink to story.

Now I got that figured. The last time I was wearing my large-tread boots and stepped on a turd - it left a footprint that looked exactly like this KitKat figure.

I like it when companies play together! Android and KitKat? That's two of my favorites too! I'll be grabbing some candy bars soon, getting Google Play credits would be sweet ;-)

Nestle is so lucky... free advertisement on upcoming mobile phones and updates.

"have a break, have a kitkat" - google

I didn't know a brand name can be used by another company as a codename.
Was expecting lime tart, lemon sorbet, lemonade.....

I'm waiting for these project names but the likelihood of these project names being used is null.

Vodka
Smirnoff
Bacardi

Although, I am a little shocked of them dropping 5.0 for 4.4...?

For the past couple of years I've been gorging myself on Gingerbread & Jellybeans. Now I may have to switch to Kit Kat... This is not good for my weight, not to mention what my dentist will have to say. I sure hope device manufacturers throw in a couple of coupons for a couple of new outfits with their devices to 'sweeten' the deal. :)

Back