Keyboard and touch screen not working after Windows Update

Darrenbilly

Hello all,

I have a toshiba satellite click mini l9w-b, which I updated to Windows 10, from 8. After doing so, once the laptop gets to Windows login screen the keyboard and touch screen stop working. They work for the Setup options before logon, but not after. I can plug in a keyboard and mouse.
The version of Windows 10 on it is no longer supported, and I cannot update to latest feature pack due to lack of HD space. Even with external storage the update fails at install.

Running BIOS 1.7 I believe...
any suggestions very welcome.

Thank you!

I run an IT shop and the first thing we do before we upgrade a laptop for someone from one OS to another is to check that the manufacturer offers drivers for that newer OS for their product. Even though Win8 and Win10 share some code, they are not 100% compatible. The the exact warning I would give a customer is:..."We can install W10 but some things might not work because we don't see drivers from the manufacturer".

Since you are out of space you are going to have to open this guy up and put in a larger driver. Some of the low cost laptops shipped with super tiny drives (like 32 or 64GB). If I had your ear at the time I would have told you "Bro, don't get this laptop...you need at least 250GB+ for proper use of a Windows machine" Drives like that are pretty cheap now too.

I think that is your only hope: Is to find the Toshiba support website that offers drivers for your product. If they don't have W10 drivers you can grab the Win8 drivers and try them. It couldn't hurt. Clearly Windows Update has not been able to find the correct drivers for you for your touchscreen/touchpad.

If you can't be bothered with the drive change then wipe it and go back to Win8. It works well still and I even still use one in the shop just to verify it still works. Support for Windows 8 is good until 2023

Last edited:
I think this is a tablet with a keyboard attached rather than a mini laptop. It doesn't have a hard drive which explains the lack of storage space. Specs say the Click Mini has a low-cost eMMC module instead of an SSD. If it's feasible to fit an SSD that would solve the storage issues but I'd be inclined to retire it in favour of a more recent device running Windows 10.

I think this is a tablet with a keyboard attached rather than a mini laptop. It doesn't have a hard drive which explains the lack of storage space. Specs say the Click Mini has a low-cost eMMC module instead of an SSD. If it's feasible to fit an SSD that would solve the storage issues but I'd be inclined to retire it in favour of a more recent device running Windows 10.

Ohhh good sleuthing Bazz..I didn't realize that. =)

I remember when I "upgraded" to W8.0 there were all sorts of problems and I was just blundering around trying to get a feel for the OS. I reached a point where the computer stopped responding. Eventually, I found that I'd set Windows to operate in Tablet mode which meant the keyboard did nothing. Maybe worth checking what's going on with that in your Windows 10 set up - if you are still using it.

Go to the cog (System Settings), click on System then Tablet and see what has been selected. There's an "Ask me before switching modes" and an "Always use Tablet mode."

There's a chance that might help.

Back