Killdisk

By Mark Fuller ยท 7 replies
Jul 4, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Is there a real killdisk or any disk erasing software out there?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,891   +1,273

What's wrong with Delete Partition, Create Partition - Format?

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 10,222   +4,142

That works well enough for me.

jobeard likes this.
  4. jobeard

You must understand, regardless of the tool used, you MUST boot from some other device than the internal HD to perform this task :)

5. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,202   +527

@jobeard For those of us that don't understand, can you explain?

6. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 161

I just wanted to erase the empty spaces and save my files. But never fear, I booted into the system recovery console and chose the EFI CD/DVD Option and it worked just fine. I originally thought there was something wrong my my killdisk when I couldn't get the pc to boot from the cd after changing the boot order in the Bios. I never was able to do that for some reason. I don't know why learninmy pc don't understand.

7. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,202   +527

There are alot of things about computers I don't understand even if explained easily. That is why I'm glad to be a part of TS, not to mention now that I have back up laptops, I feel more confident if that makes cents :) (sense).

8. jobeard

An Application is totally unnecessary. If the goal is to Reinstall or Empty a drive, the sure-fire technique is to remove ALL partitions. The system can't do that while running on a system within a partition, so first you have to boot on some other device. Once running from a non-internal HD, you can attack the HD by deleting any/all existing partitions - - all the data becomes inaccessible. To make the system bootable once again, create a NEW partition AND you need to format it. This is the time to perform a LOW-LEVEL format which will rewrite every sector in the partition. Bad sectors get remapped at this time (and never via quick format).

Now you're ready to Reinstall.

learninmypc likes this.