'Kinetic Touchless' tech replicates button presses without contact

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: The pandemic has made people more hygiene-aware, especially as Covid-19 can survive on surfaces for several hours. Some objects are touched by numerous people every day, such as elevator buttons, and not everyone remembers to wash their hands afterward. But one company has an idea about how to address the problem: touchless technology that replicates real actions.

As reported by Engadget, Singapore-based studio Stuck Design’s Kinetic Touchless is described as “Tactile responsive tech without the need for touch.” It goes beyond usual motion detection by replicating the effect of a user’s interaction.

In the example of elevator buttons, a person just needs to move a finger toward their floor number to activate the sensor. The button sinks inwards without physical contact as the hand gets closer, before returning to its original position.

Stuck Design says that Kinetic Touchless can be applied to more than just poking movements. It also works with gestures such as pushing, pulling, and even sliding.

“With contactless interactions on the rise in the face of COVID-19, most touchless tech tends towards a static sensor with a light or buzz to indicate an activated button, greatly diminishing the push button interaction,” writes the company.

“By going beyond the expected feedback of light and sound, Kinetic Touchless provides a surprisingly delightful and yet newly familiar way to interact with contactless technology.”

It certainly looks like the ideal technology to introduce during a pandemic, but while a working prototype has been created, it could be some time before we see Kinetic Touchless tech in elevators.

Permalink to story.

“With contactless interactions on the rise in the face of COVID-19, most touchless tech tends towards a static sensor with a light or buzz to indicate an activated button

I've been in many lifts with static touchless buttons (not screen). all you have to do is hover your finger near the desired button as if you're about to click - and it is activated. honestly I think that's good enough, it kinda remind me of kinect and various sci-fi hollywood movies where someone just need to wave their hands or speak to activate something.

this "moving tactile button" seems just like a novelty item - like those useless fidget-gadgets that we see many years ago.

This looks like it will only work well when buttons are placed far apart, which then excludes a lot of applications.

You certainly won't be able to easily withdraw your finger when you change your mind .....

I like it, yes it’s not necessary but it’s cool. It’s like how my dads HiFi system he had when I was a kid had a volume dial that would physically turn when you changed the volume on the remote control, pointless but I loved it.

I like it, yes it’s not necessary but it’s cool. It’s like how my dads HiFi system he had when I was a kid had a volume dial that would physically turn when you changed the volume on the remote control, pointless but I loved it.

The hi-fi system probably WAS using the mechanical volume control to change the volume level. It's easier to get distortionless level control with a potentiometer than with analog electronics (depends on how old and expensive your dad's system was.)

And I thought this would be not about a system that moved a physical button, but about one that provided tactile feedback without touching, maybe through repelling the user's finger with static electricity.

They tried this in the 80's and during a fire when the elevator doors opened onto a floor because the heat from the fire told the button someone wanted a ride PEOPLE DIED!!! I was a firefighter and pulling people and pets out of those things is not fun, nor is it fun when the door opens on YOU!! YES there is a f/f override system but it's not high on the maintenance list and often doesn't work when you need it too. And walking up 50 stories to get to a fire isn't an option even for the fittest of people, you are too pooped to fight a fight at that point due to all the gear you have to carry up with you.

Back