Kingston has created a beastly 2 TB flash drive

Scorpus

TechSpot Staff
Staff member

Kingston's DataTraveler Ultimate GT is the world's highest capacity flash drive. Unveiled at CES 2017, this monster flash drive is available with 2 terabytes of solid state storage inside, giving high speed access to a ton of data on the go.

To cram so much storage inside the DataTraveler Ultimate GT, the drive is physically larger than most flash drives on the market. To keep the drive durable, Kingston has opted to use a zinc-alloy casing with a sliding protector for the USB 3.0 Type-A port. If you have recently bought a laptop that only has USB-C ports (like the current-gen MacBook Pros), you'll still need that dongle to use this drive.

Kingston hasn't revealed how much the 2TB DataTraveler Ultimate GT will cost, although it will be available in February. Considering 512GB flash drives currently cost around $200, this 2TB drive could be several orders of magnitude more expensive. It certainly won't be something that everyday consumers will be able to afford.

A 1TB version of the DataTraveler Ultimate GT will also be available, presumably at a lower but still expensive price point. It too will be available in February with a largely identical design.

Permalink to story.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

cliffordcooley

TS Redneck
Yet we have the technology to make a 2TB in a quarter the size all ready. Envision 16 128GB Micro SDXC chips and you will see why this is massively way too huge. They would easily fit in 10% of the space this device is using. You can't tell me a controller would need the other 90%.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nodeity

Nodeity

TS Rookie
Yet we have the technology to make a 2TB in a quarter the size all ready. Envision 16 128GB Micro SDXC chips and you will see why this is massively way too huge. They would easily fit in 10% of the space this device is using. You can't tell me a controller would need the other 90%.
Yup, this thing is huge, how are you supposed to get it into a recessed USB on a lappy?
 

yRaz

Nigerian Prince
Yet we have the technology to make a 2TB in a quarter the size all ready. Envision 16 128GB Micro SDXC chips and you will see why this is massively way too huge. They would easily fit in 10% of the space this device is using. You can't tell me a controller would need the other 90%.
As I understand it, the speed of the drive scales with the size of the chip. 4, 500GBchips on a USB drive will read and right faster than a single 2TB chip. I'm sure those aren't the exact numbers in the USB stick, but
I'm sure you get the idea.
 

hahahanoobs

TS Evangelist
Envision 16 128GB Micro SDXC chips and you will see why this is massively way too huge.
I just want to know why someone would spend R&D daisy chaining a bunch of SD cards together, when we have EXISTING technology that is far superior? You know this 2TB drive uses solid state storage via USB 3.1, right?

Even the fastest SDXC card can only do 90MB/s...
 
  • Like
Reactions: mattfrompa
The thing that's definitely wrong with this thing - the USB tongue should be at the bottom of one side, not in the middle, in order to accomodate slim-factor laptops that have their USB sockets almost aligned with the bottom.
 

Theinsanegamer

TS Evangelist
Yet we have the technology to make a 2TB in a quarter the size all ready. Envision 16 128GB Micro SDXC chips and you will see why this is massively way too huge. They would easily fit in 10% of the space this device is using. You can't tell me a controller would need the other 90%.
Yup, this thing is huge, how are you supposed to get it into a recessed USB on a lappy?
The people who need tons of storage are probably not the same ones buying the anorexically thin laptops of apple, or the apple wanabees.

$10 max for a dying technology.
Flash drives are not going anywhere.
 

Bigtruckseries

TS Evangelist
When I pulled my 4TB Samsung flashdrive out of its package to install in my workstation/gaming system, I was actually annoyed with the fact that it was over $1400 and a few years from now it won't be worth half that since storage will double or even triple soon.

I look back on my old Pavilion 8570c that I got for my birthday years ago. It had a 20GB Hard Drive and 96MB of RAM. Now I have a 256 GB flash Drive that only cost $60 around my neck.

The form factor of the 4TB SSD had to fit the motherboard's slots. It appeared to me it could have been made smaller.

A 2TB USB 3.0 device, is really expensive and shouldn't be carried around since it's too easy to misplace.
 

Trillionsin

TS Evangelist