Lacie: Alternative power supply?

cookiedude

Hi All

I have used a number of Lacie hard drives over the last few years and I am now sick to the back teeth of having to put up with their poor power supplies. I have just purchased a new one for a Lacie 2tb Bigger Disk and the drive worked for approximately half an hour until it simply decided not to work (the same symptoms I have had on other drives - Windows error messages including driver errors, format required, error code 43 as well as a constantly flashing power light - so I know it is power supply related).

Has anybody else had similar experience with Lacie products and does anybody know of an alternative make of power supply (I refuse to use anymore junk made by Lacie) that I can use with this drive?

Specifications can be found here http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10175

Many thanks

Alternatively, if I were to take the drives out of the Lacie does anyone know of a caddy that I can use that will let me use all of the drives at once (I would assume the Lacie contains 4 500gb drives?)??

Im guessing any 4 bay drive caddy would do the job.

Whether they read all 4 drives as 1, im not so sure about.

Im guessing any 4 bay drive caddy would do the job.

Whether they read all 4 drives as 1, im not so sure about.

I think that would be ok, any recommendations?

The need for a single caddy is largely because this drive is to be used as a back-up for a NAS file server which only has one spare USB input. Worst case scenario I can set up 4 separate backup schedules if they read as 4 separate drives.

hmm; a typical caddy for multiple drives will enable RAID-X options, including JBOD
(just a bunch of drives).
HOWEVER, that does not say that each drive can be addressed individually (ie given a unique drive letter.

You note
this drive is to be used as a back-up for a NAS file server
does that mean it was a solo drive (with its own DLA) and backups were scheduled to be written to it
OR
this was one of the raid-5 drives and used as a redundant copy?

It was affectively a single drive, though I believe it is made up of multiple drives (not sure how many but probably 4 x 500gb) inside a Lacie "caddy" setup as RAID 5. This then connects to the NAS drive via USB. I still want it to act as a single drive so no need for each separate drive to be addressed individually.

Best case scenario would be replacing the power supply with something reliable, though this is looking unlikely. Next best thing would be to use a caddy with RAID 5, though having looked at a few online it would be cheaper just to buy a new 2tb external hard drive!! But this option means that the current drives go to waste!

Back