Lag problems

twostepjake

All of the sudden all of my games are having a huge lag problems in all my online games. For instance, Smite, I was able to play highest settings with fraps and netflix running no problem. Now I cant even play the game just by itself on the lowest setting. From the forums ive read some people have said to overclock my gpu and I just do not feel comfortable doing that. My graphics card is all the way updated and I have no clue what to do now. heres my system specs. lemme know what other info you need.
amdfx 4100
8gb ram
geforce gt 440

When did the change happen? Just before the change, what were all the minor changes you did to your computer such as updating or installing programs, websites visited, etc. :)

Check your cpu and gpu temps. When did you update your gpu drivers? if it is recently then it might be the issue there. If so, try rolling back the drivers and see if that helps.

Stonarda-It started about 3 or 4 days ago. Nothing out of the ordinary. a few of my games had a patch and the usual web browsing. facebook,youtube,netflix etc.

Gunner87-After I posted here I thought of that exact same thing. heres the results I got. everything looks good to me but im also not the brightest when it comes to this stuff. my graphics card was updated awhile ago I just checked to see if there was an update or new one.

Attachments

• gputemp.gif
    gputemp.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 6
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 5
What's the temperature of your house is Celcius? That says the CPU is sitting on 15C, max of 28C.

Assuming your temps are fine,, you also mentioned that some of the games you played had a patch you applied to them,, That might be an issue sometimes as some patches make the game run worse on some systems.

Long shot but also a fragmented HDD can sudden lag spikes, though not constant.

Try running games with other tasks closed ie: fraps etc... see how it goes.

Today hasnt been too bad but idk why my internet would **** for 3 days then be ok. its never done that. I havent tried to run the games with anything else running since it started happening and it was still awful which is why I was growing concerned. I honestly dont know about my room and all that. I read that the program used is not too awfully accurate on quadcore cpu's so it could be that.

First off, try clean installing the latest drivers: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/59641 <--For Win7/Win8 64bit.
During the installation, chose custom install and check the option to "Clean Install".

As for Gunner87s idea of defragmenting, that wont help really. If clean installing the drivers does not work, then run an internet speedtest here: http://speedtest.net/. After that test is complete, press "Share this result" and paste the URL here.

Gunner I tried using realtemp and it said it isnt compatible with quadcore cpu's. Ill give that a shot jc. I did the speed test and everything was quick and easy. after talking with support on smite they had me run a test and said that there were huge spikes when theyre servers were trying to connect to my internet. ive also had the ethernet cord im currently using for probably 10+ years would that have any effect?

Gunner I tried using realtemp and it said it isnt compatible with quadcore cpu's. Ill give that a shot jc. I did the speed test and everything was quick and easy. after talking with support on smite they had me run a test and said that there were huge spikes when theyre servers were trying to connect to my internet. ive also had the ethernet cord im currently using for probably 10+ years would that have any effect?
That is odd, realtemp should work with Quad cores. Make sure you download it from here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html.
Well, ethernet revisions have provided very little improvement over the years. Can you go to device manager and tell me what your ethernet controller is (all that are listed under Network Adapters)? Let us try updating that driver. Also, what router do you have? Because upgrading the network cable will be of no use if you do not have a good router. Final question: What is your ISP (Internet service provider) and what are you Ping, Download, and upload speeds from your results from Speedtest.net.

Thats exactly where I downloaded it from and it just said its not compatible with my cpu

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
I cant remember what router I have but I know that we just bought a new router right before christmas. ISP is comcast.
Ping-72ms Download-19.02mbps Upload-10.03 mbps

I dont know where to get drivers for Realtek Ethernet controllers from. Usually, on Intel platforms, it is easy to get a driver, but not for AMD. Your ISP, and download/upload speeds are most likely not the issue. I would find out the Routers IP address and update its firmware. If that doesnt work, I would call Comcast. My friends say that ever since they switched to Comcast, they have gotten increased lag. If you arent in a contract, I would leave Comcast since their internet is notorious for causing in-game lag.

Back