LAN connection present but no internet connection

I'm using a Dell Precision 490 and recently had the entire computer wiped due to viruses, had the OS reinstalled and am in the process of setting it up again. I have connected to the LAN at my office but can't get the computer to connect to the internet and all the built in troubleshooters and diagnostic tests can't find anything wrong with the connection. I have manually entered the IP and Gateway addresses and the DNS addresses for our network but still can't connect. Any ideas?

After the OS was installed did anyone install the chipset, LAN, sound, graphics, etc. drivers?

You may want to check the following:

For Internet Explorer
-Open IE
-Click Tools
-Select Internet Options
-Select the Connections Tab
-Click LAN Settings at the bottom of the screen
-Make sure the box "Use a proxy server for your LAN" is not checked

For Firefox
-Open Firefox
-Click Tool
-Select Options
-Select Advanced (top right)
-Select the Network Tab
-Click the Setings button
-Make sure No Proxy is selected

Using run->cmd enter ipconfig /all
your IP is at IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x
the router will be at Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.a.b.
and the DNS at DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :a.b.c.d​
Q: does your system access the router?
test: ping 192.168.a.b

Q: can you access your DNS?
test: ping a.b.c.d

Q: can you ping google using the address?
test: ping 66.102.7.104

Q: now can you resolve a name to an address?
test: nslookup google.com.
yes, there's a period trailing .com

OK.

lookup name -> address will fail and that stops all email/browser activities.

Did this ever work on this system or is this a new ISP connection or New system?

Let's take some inventory:
the OS and edition,
eg Windows/XP/Pro Vista/Home Win/7 ultimate

I have manually entered the IP and Gateway addresses and the DNS addresses for our network but still can't connect. Any ideas?
WHY??? delete that stuff and allow the system to pull the data from the router using DHCP.

I'm working on Windows XP.

And the only reason that I manually entered in the IP and DNS is because when I let the system obtain them automatically, then my computer doesn't connect to the LAN.

manual config is frought with issues and just one will cause problems.

highly recommend using DHCP and let your system be configured from the router settings.
if issues are still present, we can address those and then all your systems will be controlled from a single point (the router) and can be maintained uniformly

I've reset the IP and DNS to be chosen by the system automatically. I still can't connect to the internet or the LAN but the system is recognized the router when I ping it. I can't find the automatic DNS though and it doesn't show up when I type "ipconfig /all" into the command prompt.

Q? did you recently add the router? if so, there's a setting required by the ISP

Well, the system was recently wiped and then the OS was reinstalled. Would that make the router new to the system?

no. I was headed toward the frequent issue of the ISP recording the first NIC mac address
and using it to verify you as their customer. When you add a router after the fact,
the ISP sees the router is not your system and we need to play tricks (offically) to make
the router report itself as your system's nic.

This is the masquerade option in the router settings.

use the Physical Address reported from ipconfig /all and place that in the
masquerade value and enable it. Save the settings and the router should restart.

wait 30 seconds and rerun the ipconfig /all

you should have all values present.

I've tried that and all I get is a "The address is not valid" page.

But the system is recognizing the router and when I ping the address, I get a 0% loss.

have you ever connected modem=>system w/o the router? did that work?

Please report the ISP name, make/model of your modem and the router.

Old subject but I may add few cents because it still pops up on google. I had similar problem at work. One of several PC's in ethernet network could not connect to the internet although the LAN connection worked (LAN printers and other stuff were accessible from this affected PC). I did this steps to solve the problem:

1. Check connection state, to see current IPv4 adress
2. Go to connection settings, assign IP manually instead of automatic, change only last number (if you had for example 192.168.1.15, then change only last digit, DNS 8.8.8.8 or whatever)
3. Run cmd.exe as admin
4. type in cmd window: ipconfig /release
5. Turn off router + modem, wait 10+ seconds, turn them back on
6. type in cmd window: ipconfig /renew

Solved in Windows 10 32bit (for me).

I hope it helps anyone who is still looking for the solution.

Back