Laptop battery cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysvxrocks

So my question is this. Is there a program you can get that will cycle the battery when its plugged in? I just got the battery in my HP replaced, and I want to take precautions to help insure that it doesnt go bad so rapidly again (last battery died after only a year) I have my computer plugged in frequently, but I also carry it around sometimes. Any ideas to help me? HP told me that it died that soon because I kept it charging when I wasnt using it, and that I didnt let it cycle enough. Ive heard from someone that they have a program that does it... just thought Id ask here. -Dennis

There are lots of articles on the Internet about how to make your battery last longer. I suppose you have a Li-Ion battery (all modern laptops have this kind of battery).
The best way to make a battery last longer is to let it charge to 100% before you use it, and also discharge all the way whenever possible. At least once a week. Don't use half the battery, and plug in the charger again, unless it's really necessary.
I don't use my battery much, so when I come home with, say, 50% battery I take it out, connect the power-plug and keep working. When I need the battery again I turn off the computer, connects the battery and off I go.
That way I don't have to worry if the battery is charging too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back