Laptop blue screen help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathi

Novise here...need lots of help. My laptop "blue screened" on me. Says to safe mode by hitting F8, nothing happens. says...PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
I've turned it off and on several times with the hopes it would correct itself, nope...
Tech info:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8D400000,0X00000000,0x80C83843,0x00000002)

If I can't F8 I can't do anything else. It's froze in blue screen. Ths thing isn't but a yr old. @#$%$!!!

Sorry; fustration; help please....:confused: Kathi (thx)

Perhaps a memory failure, or hard drive, or cooling fan. No computer is immune, and how new it is makes little difference... too much dust, too much humidity... or it could be as simple has a hardware driver needs to be reinstalled.
It would be helpful to have your computer brand and model, as well as the hardware configuration and main software installed... Main uses? Is it still under warranty, because there are some things you do not want to try at home if it is, as you could void the warranty.
Does it boot in <SAFE MODE> when you repeatedly press the <F8> button right after you depress the <ON> Button?

ok, did that, got the safe mode screen after repeatedly pressing F8 at startup. whew! but so many choses?!? now what?

Oh, it's a Dell Inspiron 1525

Did it start normally, except for a very low resolution screen, or did it still <BLUE SCREEN> ?

If it booted in SAFE MODE, then youlikely have a memory error that requires a module to be replaced, or you have a driver error.
If this is Windows XP, go to the Device Manager Start-> Control Panel-> System->Hardware->Device Manager to see if there are any yellow or red flags... they will indicated what device is not working properly, and that may be fixed by downloading a new driver from the Dell Website... and installing it. You may have to download it on another computer, then put it on a USB flash drive or a CD to move it to the Dell 1525.

Hi Kathi

Your problem indicates your system is crashing because it is trying to reference memory that doesn't exist. This might be due to any number of reasons (ranging from simple (which often happens) to less likely, but still possible and more esoteric reasons).

But since you have had your computer less then a year, i'd suggest starting with Dell phone support.

Tho your problem is often related to corruption (e.g. a device driver) or a device itself. Have you added any new hardware devices recently? You might want to try unplugging all external (un-needed) hardware (e.g. external HDS, flash drives, external CDs, etc. and see if you can boot)

If you still need help after Dell (if they can't fix your problem short of telling you to reformat everything) post back here and we'd be glad to look further at it as well

You guys are so sweet...thx; OK...it's Vista, and I can't get out of blue screen no matter what I do...1 yr warranty expired in March (argh). Please tell me it isn't hopeless?!?

1) Do you have any installation CDs from Dell?

2) Also, next you get into safe mode (keep tapping F8 key - about once per second- immediately on power up). And see the Advanced Start Menu Options, try selecting Last Known Good Configuration (or some similar words). Will it boot?

3) If 2) above doesn't work reboot. On the Dell flash screen (immediately on power up) look in upper rt of screen. It normally lists your Function key options. Is there one listed for recover? or what do you see listed there?

4) Also please tell us which Antivirus product you use. And do you know if they provide (and if you have) a rescue CD from them?

1. Looked for the CD's no luck

2. tried that, doesn't work.

3. can't catch this to read, too fast, but i got it to do a wdws memory problems ck...from here...we'll see.

4. hmmm...don't know for sure, i always forget the man, begins with a p...(shoot) and the icon looks like a slanted handheld gray mic...any help at all? sorry...

OK. Hmmm...

Well, stepping back to look at the "big picture" you have two different issues to address
1) Fixing your HD (including Windows Vista OS files) and possible hardware to allow you to reboot normally and run and get to your files
2) But maybe most important is first at least getting to your files so you can have store safely while you troubleshoot the rest of your problems

That said, there are 2 basic approaches to your HD (whehter for fixing all of it or just getting to your personal files). You can either

1) Remove the HD and buy an enclosure for the HD so you can then simply connect it to someone else's computer (so you can try to get your files as well as fix it. In such case, your HD is simply an additional drive containing files and not needed for booting) and/or
2) You can use boot CDs on your computer to try and fix the HD while still within your own computer

If you first to just get to / try and recover and backup your personal files see this thread. Download Windows Recovery Console (to first run chkdsk) and Knoppix to boot and get your files

Can then work at cleaning Vista (tho a Vista reinstall assumes install CDs or seeing if Dell left a recovery partition on your HD)

Ummm....huh??? sorry all techy to me. got better layman's terms...plz...

P.S. gotta run for now, my son's b'day...talk about lousy timing, geez...thx, will check back later and i'll read up on the attached thread. thx again.

HD = your hard drive

Means eventually you want your HD (your hard drive) to work as it's always done
>> Be able to boot from it and start Windows
>> Then get access to your personal files and folders

In fixing your problem
>> There's the matter of getting your HD to work again (which might be just fixing the file info on your HD and/or included fixing other hardware components as well)
>> But instead of trying to do it all right away (and being worried about not being able to get to view./see and recover your personal file/folders in the meantime) might be best to just get your personal stuff first... and THEN worry about fixing the rest

OK thx for now, looks like this is a weekend job, i'l get back to you, you've been very helpful, have a nice weekend.

generally caused by bad or failing ram. run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or CD for at least 7 passes. Any errors require ram replacement.

I assume omg is oh my gosh and not something else which would be blasphemy and offensive.

hope I was able to help.

Of course it is "gosh"...thanks for the advise, I will be trying all of this before all my hair is gone...I'll get back to you. Thx to you all. TBC (that's a lot of all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back