Laptop Core i9-13980HX smashes 30K barrier in Cinebench, outperforming AMD's Ryzen 9 7900X

AaronK

Forward-looking: Intel's brand new Core i9-13980HX mobile chip just broke the 30,000 barrier in Cinebench R23, making it one of the fastest CPUs to date -- excluding any distinctions between desktop and mobile SKUs. With this result the 13980HX was able to outperform several high performance desktop CPUs from both Intel and AMD, including the 12-core Ryzen 9 7900X and 16-core Core i7-13700K.

The benchmark result was shared by Jarrod'sTech while reviewing a MSI GE78 HX Raider powered by the i9-13980HX. The laptop is fully kitted out with a 175W Nvidia RTX 4090 laptop GPU, 64GB of DDR5-5600MT/s memory, 240Hz 1600P screen and 99.9WH battery. Cooling is aided by six heat pipes connected to two fans cooling both the CPU and GPU. The laptop also packs MSI's Overboost that allows the CPU and GPU to combine their power envelope, giving the CPU a total of 250W when the GPU is idling.

According to Jarrod's review, the 13980HX's 30,498 multi-core benchmark run represents a massive 30% performance lead over Intel's previous generation Core i9-12950HX. The 13980HX also beats AMD's Ryzen 9 6900HX by a landslide, with a score that's twice as fast. So whichever way you look, the 13980HX is the fastest mobile chip right now -- at least in Cinebench R23, which tends to be representative of heavy multi-core productivity performance. We will have to wait for Ryzen 7000 mobile to launch before we know if Intel can hold onto that title for the duration of 2023.

The 13980HX is Intel's latest-generation mobile flagship, featuring the Raptor Lake CPU architecture, a 5.5GHz maximum boost clock, 24 cores/32 threads, 36MB of L3 cache, 32MB of L2 cache and a maximum turbo power limit of 157 watts.

The 13980HX is so fast it is able to contend with some of the best desktop CPUs as well, beating out our own review samples of the Core i9-12900K, i7-13700K, and Ryzen 9 7900X in the same benchmark --11.6% faster than the 12900K, 5% faster than the i7-13700K, and 3.8% faster than the Ryzen 9 7900X.

For all intents and purposes, the 13980HX is basically a Core i9-13900/13900K retrofitted to run inside of a laptop based on the chips specs and the Cinebench results we're seeing here. The power consumption and CPU performance are so similar to Intel's desktop chips its uncanny. MSI GE78 HX owners will benefit greatly from this, having flagship desktop-class CPU performance on the go. Just don't expect this laptop to be light nor cheap.

Permalink to story.

Yes, that is an impressive score but can we really call a CPU with a TDP of 235watts in a laptop "mobile". This isn't so much a laptop as it is a portable desktop. With a 99.5Whr battery, lets call it 100watt hours, the laptop can power the system for around 20 minutes at full power. It's been my experience products like this usually get around 1.5-2 hours of basic desktop use on battery. Enough for a flight and maybe get a decent charge during a lay-over.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for these products, if I was a life on the go person I absolutely would be able to replace my desktop with this product. I spend 6-8 weeks a year in hotel rooms traveling for work but that isn't enough time to invest in a product like this. However, if I was the type of person that spent 6-8 weeks a year AT HOME, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this. Frankly, with a 17" screen running at 2560X1600(previous models were 16:10), this could be a good option for a productivity laptop and a gaming laptop for people who spend lots of time away from home. The minimum specs are a 4070 with an i7-13700hx which still still a heck of a lot of power.

Depending on pricing this could be a really great product. And maybe I'm being a bit of an optimist, but I don't the Nividia tax is going to transfer over to mobile parts like it did to desktop parts. This could be a very capable high refresh rate 1440p machine

Super impressive performance out of a mobile chip. I'm sure the heat and power consumption warnings are valid, but I doubt this is a mobile chip for you if you're actual serious about mobility.

can we really call a CPU with a TDP of 235watts in a laptop "mobile". This isn't so much a laptop as it is a portable desktop.

My desktops average 23 watts all day long

My Laptop averages 20 watts

and they can all native boot to Windows XP, so they are clearly better than this thing is

I even have an ancient Nehalem that native boots Windows XP in 3 seconds flat, CLEARLY beating this things Native XP boot time

It's so sad to watch these new machines do so much less for more money and do it with such a massive power draw

So sad

Last edited:
Super impressive performance out of a mobile chip. I'm sure the heat and power consumption warnings are valid, but I doubt this is a mobile chip for you if you're actual serious about mobility.
So when I'm away from town for extended periods of time I like to log into my discord and do some dailies in things like ESO or EVE. It anchors me to home and helps me keep some sense of normalcy so I can see the value in this product. I see this product being useful for 2 types of people, gamers on the go who are always close to an outlet, like me in hotel rooms. Or, people with VERY limited space and simply don't have room for a full desktop setup. I've lived in VERY small 1 bedrooms where the only place I could setup my PC was the kitchen or coffee table so mid range gaming laptop it is. Or, literally sitting on my bed with the laptop on my lap. Fact of the matter was the being able to fold it up and store it was more important than the power requirements

Who do I think will end up buying this product? Rich people who want bragging rights. Still, this a pretty serious system if you want to have a dock and use it primarily as a desktop with the option of being able to take it with you on the go.

Outside of those uses I don't see much of a point for this product.

My desktops average 23 watts all day long

My Laptop averages 20 watts

and they can all native boot to Windows XP, so they are clearly better than this thing is

I even have an ancient Nehalem that native boots Windows XP in 3 seconds flat, CLEARLY beating this things Native XP boot time

It's so sad to watch these new machines do less for more money and do it with such a massive power draw

So sad
I have laptops that run linux mint that I can get nearly 6 hours out of if I'm truly on the go. This is a "gamer on the go" product not a "I need to spend 8 hours in excel" laptop. Which is the reason that I like to refer to these things as portable desktops, not laptops.

I have laptops that run linux mint that I can get nearly 6 hours out of if I'm truly on the go. This is a "gamer on the go" product not a "I need to spend 8 hours in excel" laptop. Which is the reason that I like to refer to these things as portable desktops, not laptops.
Yeah, this laptop has a 75 Watt CPU that probably averages 40-50 Watts without the GPU running, so it likely gets a few hours under normal (non-gaming) use

My old/tired internal Laptop battery gives me about 2 hours and the external portable battery adds another 28 hours to that
(2-18AH LiFePo4 in series inside a small tote bag)

A baseus 65 Watt USB C car charger powers the 20 Volt laptop from the 24 Volt battery

Yeah, this laptop has a 75 Watt CPU that probably averages 40-50 Watts without the GPU running, so it likely gets a few hours under normal (non-gaming) use

My old/tired internal Laptop battery gives me about 2 hours and the external portable battery adds another 28 hours to that
(2-18AH LiFePo4 in series inside a small tote bag)

A baseus 65 Watt USB C car charger powers the 20 Volt laptop from the 24 Volt battery
Like I said in my previous post, probably 1.5 to 2 hours. Keep in mind it has a 17.3" 2560x1600 screen and that sucks some juice, too.

And I got pretty specific for the 2/3 niche uses where I see this as a practical option in my previous posts

Sorry what's the impressive part again??? A desktop 13900 chip with a lower TDP and clocks stuffed in a laptop. Power and heat be buggered.

AMD's Dragon range will slaughter this for efficiency as the 7950 is much stronger than the 13900 at lower power levels, it's a bloodbath. Just see Anandtech's power scaling tests from last week.

Highest I would go in a laptop from Intel is H series 13700H but more likely a P series, 1370/80P

253W mobile CPU? With turbojet fans? LOL.
I was thinking the same thing. But truth is that it will never be able to sustain 253W without melting the laptop. I feel Intel is at their wits end to try to retain their CPU performance so much so that they are basically introducing a desktop chip with desktop level power consumption as a mobile CPU. Or maybe someone in the team forgot to remind them that this is meant for a laptop where power and cooling constraints are in place. Assuming it can sustain 253W, you either have jet engine fans/ some special water cooling, and also a giant 300+ W power brick(s) to give it sufficient power. In any case, we need to congratulate Intel for breaking another record in terms of power consumption, now for the mobile space.

So when I'm away from town for extended periods of time I like to log into my discord and do some dailies in things like ESO or EVE. It anchors me to home and helps me keep some sense of normalcy so I can see the value in this product. I see this product being useful for 2 types of people, gamers on the go who are always close to an outlet, like me in hotel rooms. Or, people with VERY limited space and simply don't have room for a full desktop setup. I've lived in VERY small 1 bedrooms where the only place I could setup my PC was the kitchen or coffee table so mid range gaming laptop it is. Or, literally sitting on my bed with the laptop on my lap. Fact of the matter was the being able to fold it up and store it was more important than the power requirements

Who do I think will end up buying this product? Rich people who want bragging rights. Still, this a pretty serious system if you want to have a dock and use it primarily as a desktop with the option of being able to take it with you on the go.

If you get a sense of normalcy from EVE, you might want to seek counseling. /mutters to self in bittervet

So, no power consumption neither temps provided when running at the magical speed that totally destroys AMD….

Talk about a sponsored article….

If you get a sense of normalcy from EVE, you might want to seek counseling. /mutters to self in bittervet
Not so much EvE, but my guild keeps me from getting homesick when I'm out of town. The idea that I can come back to the hotel when I'm working on the road, play some games and talk to the same people I talk to almost daily does A LOT for you mental health. Thankfully ESO and EvE can run on my laptop just fine. 4600u with an RX 5600m, plenty of power for games that are 10-20 years old.

Also don't forget to show us how big and heavy the laptop charger is.

wonder how many type-C connectors it would take should the EU regulation kicks in.

Also don't forget to show us how big and heavy the laptop charger is.

wonder how many type-C connectors it would take should the EU regulation kicks in.
I think Type C caps out at 240W for now. So it is still at least 15W short just to allow the CPU to boost. So you will surely need 2x type C charger.

I'm with others here. If this is what you're after, knock yourself out as if all you care about is portable power this is the current zenith.

But you can hardly call it beating desktop CPUs notable when it's just a high end, high binned desktop CPU itself. More powerful CPU is more powerful, quelle surprise.

Remember when intel was the one concerned about laptop power and being as efficient as possible. What even is this crap?
I can imagine the meeting between the engineers and executives "MORE POWAAAR"

This isn't really a traveling laptop. It's more of a desktop replacement for those that need to move with their work around. Battery life is bad (even in ultra battery saver mode) and it is also heavy. There are much better solutions for EVE :) (I know since I play it too)

Sorry what's the impressive part again??? A desktop 13900 chip with a lower TDP and clocks stuffed in a laptop. Power and heat be buggered.

AMD's Dragon range will slaughter this for efficiency as the 7950 is much stronger than the 13900 at lower power levels, it's a bloodbath. Just see Anandtech's power scaling tests from last week.

Highest I would go in a laptop from Intel is H series 13700H but more likely a P series, 1370/80P
Im sorry but anandtech is an ***** and you didnt pay any attention to the review. The 7950x numbers are with tdp numbers and not actual power draw. So for example, at 35w the 13900k was indeed drawing 35w, the 7950x was drawing 50.

There is no bloodbath anywhere but in the minds of fanboys. The 13900k and the 7950x are really close in efficiency in every wattage pretty much.

Remember when intel was the one concerned about laptop power and being as efficient as possible. What even is this crap?
I can imagine the meeting between the engineers and executives "MORE POWAAAR"
And im pretty sure this cpu restricted to 35w is the most efficient laptop cpu on planet earth as well. So whats the issue?

Wow, if I bought this laptop, I would not need a heater during winter for my small room. Caring this monster in a backpack would also be a good substitution to gym. Good job Intel!!

Back