Laptop does not see Domain

RomulusJ

I am trying to set up company laptops to the domain.
I get the error
Computer Name Changes:
A domain controller for the domain rege.local could not be contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly,

If the name is correct see details for troubleshooting information,

Details:
Note this is intended for a network administrator.... <snip>

The error was "DNS name does not exist"
(error code 0x0000232b RCODE_Name_Error

The query was for the SRV record for the Ldap_tcp.dc_msdcs.rege.local

Common causes of this error include the following.

-The DNS SRV is not registered int he DNS.

One of more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone.

rege.local
local
[the root zone]

Facts:
I can Ping the server
I can use the internet which is managed by the server
I enabled NETBios
The ipconfig of the laptop looks right to me.

This is an issue on 5 laptops = all laptops I mirrored months ago but now have to set up for the domain of the office. These are all TRUECRYPTed laptops and work fine save for I can not set them up for the domain.

The other 8 laptops not mirrored work fine see the domain and are happy. These too are TRUECRYPTed laptops.

Self Bump.

When I ipconfig/all these quirky laptops Primary DNS suffix is blank -- I assume that is cause its not seeing the domain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A bit about my agency. We are a non-profit Mental Health Housing and Support agency. I am very stingy with my limited budget and try to use boards and forums before I call in the real egghead. (I am A+ and Network certified but don't claim to know everything)

The error was "DNS name does not exist"
Let's start at the top: Workgroups vs Domains.

Small companies can use Workgroups (just like home users) quite effectively.
Print/File Sharing is effected using Map Network Drive and [x] Reconnect at logon
will restore the mapping as necessary. Biggest issue is the lack of a single Admin
for all systems (aka Windows Server 2xxx)

A Domain is used for the single point of control for all systems that have JOINED,
but this requires the use of the Windows Server system (not just another Windows PC)
where the Active Direcectory(AD) is running AND where the company specific DNS is located with the DHCP server.

Until AD is installed and configured, you can not join a domain and that leads to your symptoms being reported.

So; what does your network consist?

Hi RomulusJ

I shall assume that these laptops are all running the same OS and networked to a central server.

When you did the ipconfig did u also try netstat?

You could try the follwing in the command prompt:

Netstat
will give the Local and foreign address of any conenctions to and from the Laptop. These will include connections between the laptop and the server / router and form the router / server to any webpages currently open on the laptop etc.

Netstat -r
This will provide your route tables of Ivp4 and IvP6. Not really much help here but it will also give you a list of interface connections.

Netstat -a
Like Netstat but give a bit more detail by providing listening ports.

These should be able to help determine if the Laptops are getting any data from the server AT ALL.

Also when you type in Ipconfig it should start with the local connections. Is it correct in syaing that NO DNS name appears here

Hope this helps
James

Let's start at the top: Workgroups vs Domains.

Until AD is installed and configured, you can not join a domain and that leads to your symptoms being reported.

QUOTE]

ooo good shout i didnt think of that i assumed that this was all installed. Kinda got the impression that the network had been fully working at some point lol.

in that case Romulus ignore my post. Wont help u in the slightest.

James

This is a DOMAIN system. The Server is a Windows 2008 Server, which handles DNS, Internet and stores all the files of the computers.

All computers linked ot the server are XP Professionals. That is laptops and desktops.

My agency has 13 case managers who are given laptops. Last month we consolidated offices and all the computers that where set up as stand alone computers need to join the domain. 8 work, 5 do not see the domain when I go into Computer name in system properties. I get the error described above.

All are Acer Aspire Ones. I used Norton Ghost to speed up installing OS, Office, Anti Virus and other software that is on all our laptops. It saved me a great deal of time at the time doing that. But now that i have to put them on the domain It does not work. The other 8 aspires I had no problems at all. Same specs other then the first 8 are a year older.

As I said ipconfig /all shows it sees our domain "Rege.local" but in system properties trying to get it in the domain I get an error, which is stated above. This error is on ALL FIVE of the cloned computers.

Yes I can change computer name. Yes I am an administrator account.

Good clarification :wave:

1) ensure all computers have unique names

2) do not manually assign IP address

3) all systems should get IP automatically via your AD server DNS/DHCP

please this

test network with netdiag /v

check the Netsetup.log file which is found in the \Windows\Debug folder on your machine. This file logs the various stages of the domain join process in detail

Back