Laptop Freezes Periodically

Annet211

This started about 2 weeks ago. Every once in a while, my laptop will just freeze. It will only last for around 2-5 seconds usually, but recently it has started freezing for around 20 seconds to a minute. This started happening very suddenly. We were playing a computer game (League of Legends) and suddenly the screen went black. After that, it started freezing like this.

We took it into best buy to check it out (I had a warranty) but they couldn't find any hardware problems, saying it must be a software problem. This is strange because when it started doing this we wiped it, deleting all the data. We have wiped it 3 times since it started, and made sure that none of the files were saved on the computer (first time it saved in a Windows.old file). This has not helped at all.

My laptop is an Asus Notebook. I am running Windows 7 on it.
Also, this is most noticeable when I'm watching a video or playing League of Legends. Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for reading!
~Annet~

Hi Annet. First, your experience with Best Buy's Geek Squad joins the countless others who have suffered under their ineptness. Your issue could be caused by the following:

Overheating especially while gaming. Are your vents clean? Have you tried using a cooling pad? Heat will shut-down/freeze a system fast.

Can you tell us your Asus laptop model? How old is it? Can you link us to it? Asus is a quality brand.

I am not sure if the vents are clean or not, but I will try cleaning them. I have not tried a cooling pad, but I happen to have one so I will give it a shot!

It is a K52F model and it is only 2 months old. I can link you to it, but I can't post it because I have not made 5 posts yet lol.

I am familiar with the K52F model so no need to link. Look forward to hearing the results of the cooling pad.

I turned off my computer and let it completely cool down. Then I turned it on and put the cooling pad on. It didn't freeze at all at first, but after about 5-10 minutes it started freezing a little, but a lot less then before. It's still only freezing a little bit, about once every 5 minutes. So I think you were right and it is an overheating problem.

I also blew out the vents with some compressed air, but it didn't seem like there was much dust in it.

I would also suggest going to Asus' website and find your exact model and update the latest drivers that they have for this system, especially video drivers.

What were you doing with the system when it began freezing?

When gaming it puts a load on the system raising the temperarture. Do you have this issue when not gaming?

I use Avira, Malware Bytes, and Super Anti Spyware. I was currently running Trend micro though. About the time this started my free trial ended.

First, excellent choices/combination: Avira, Malware Bytes, and Super Anti Spyware. Another good antivirus is Avast.

I am thinking that Trend Micro might still be on your system. Did you uninstall it?

Do the following: Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay

Look for Yellow Triangles and especially for Red Xs. If you have them please note what they flag.

* Also, I am assuming you are running Windows 7. Do you have Microsoft Essentials running as well?

I'm not sure if these are what you are referring to, but if you mean the yellow triangles with the ! in them, then there are quite a few. Many are just multiple marking the same thing.
These are all under a folder on the program called Custom Views, and in a section called Administrative Events. There are 6 search DNS Client Events, 1 on Search, 1 on Group Policy, 26 on .NET Runtime Optimization Service, 4 on User Profile, 13 on WLAN-AutoConfig, and 1 on Winlogon.
I did not see Red X's, but I did see red circles with ! in them. Are these the same thing?

Also, I am using Windows 7, but I'm not running Microsoft Essentials.

I have no idea. My laptop came with Windows 7 and the CD we used to reinstall it after wiping it was just a plain Windows 7 CD, so possibly not.

Do a search for Windows Update. When you go to the sight it will scan your PC to determine if you need updates. You just want the SP1 update. It may take awhile.

Are you running Malwarebytes and Avira at the same time? This will cause issues if you are, try turning one of them off and see if system stability improves.

When you reinstalled windows 7 did you also download and install the chipset drivers?

Go into Device Manager from the Control Panel and see if you have any yellow warnings next to the various items of hardware.

I do not run them at the same time.

I did not reinstall the chipset drivers.

I do have some warnings. 3 Base System Device warnings and 1 Ethernet Controller warning.

When you reinstall from scratch with a retail operating system you need to go to the PC's manufacturers site and download and install all the drivers for your hardware.

Look up your model on the Asus site and get the drivers for Windows 7 that are missing. This might not cure the original problem but missing drivers certainly won't help it.

I am amazed that the place you took it back to were not able to see that you had missing drivers.

Back