Laptop has no sound

For the past 2 weeks, my laptop has been having sound issues. Every time I turn on my laptop after a restart/shutdown I would have no sound. I figured out how to get sound temporarily, by going to device manager, uninstalling the Realtek driver, then scan for hardware changes, Then I would get sound back. After doing that the pc always wants me to restart, but every time I do, I have no sound. I've tried several different Realtek drivers, and several different steps I found on google, but nothing is working.

Recently Realtek is not even showing up in the device manager and I am left with a red x by the speaker on the system tray.

I have a Dell G5 15, I tried contacting Dell support but they wanted to charge me $120. I was kind of hoping it would be an easy fix.

This confuses me, instead of the Realtek drivers showing up in the device manager. I am now seeing Intel HD Audio. I went into system info and found this under Problem Devices ...

Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED INTELAUDIO\DSP_CTLR_DEV_A348&VEN_8086&DEV_0222&SUBSYS_08241028&REV_0010\4&7FF715F&3&0800 This device cannot start.

Intel High Definition Audio INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0256&SUBSYS_10280824&REV_1000\4&7FF715F&3&0001 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Sorry if this post is kind of all over the place, I wanted to make sure I could tell you guys as much info as possible. Thanks for your time and any info provided.

Stephen

Here are the solutions that have helped people resolve the sound problem. You don’t need to try them all; just work your way down until your sound works.

1. Troubleshoot the hardware issue
  2. Check the audio settings in your Windows
  3. Update your audio driver
  4. Reinstall your audio driver.
Regards,
Adrian

You might try to reset BIOS defaults or even flash the BIOS. That is a standard troubleshooting step for any hardware issue since the BIOS controls the operation of all hardware devices. Also, it seems you checked the driver under sound, video and game controllers in device manager, check and see if there is an audio inputs and outputs in device manager and see if anything is disabled and everything is allright.

Last edited:
Back