Laptop keeps shutting off

Literally just blacks out while I'm in the middle of something, shuts down and I have to power it up again. Last night it happened three times in maybe 15 minutes, and even that is rather generous.

It's happened both while plugged in and while on the battery, so common sense says it can't be a battery problem. I only had a browser with three tabs and one Word document running, so I doubt it can be due to overload. It doesn't seem hot to the touch and I didn't get the overheating notification thing on my screen.

I've seen in earlier threads on this topic that some advice-givers suggested running the HWMonitor to check the temps, so I did that, but the figures don't mean anything to me. Here's a screenshot, if someone can tell me whether these temps are normal.

Attachments

• hwmonitor.png
    hwmonitor.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 3
I am not really sure whats wrong, but I can reassure you that it is probably not the CPU overheating. As long as the sensors are correct, and they are displaying the right temperatures, you should be fine. The thermal limit of the i3 380M is 90C according to specs online. I hope someone else can chime in on other possible solutions.

Exactly two years this month. I don't know if this is relevant, but in my OP I forgot to mention that I just got it back from the repair shop on Monday, the power button was broken and I had to have it replaced.

A malware infection didn't cross my mind... is there any way I can check for something like that without taking it to the service shop? I use Avira antivirus, if that's of any help.

Temps look okay... Possibly a virus or other malware infection? How old is this laptop?

This may not be related, but try this to be sure. Windows 7 right? Remove Avria and install Microsoft Security Essentials...

Back