Laptop no audio device issue

I was recently given a Toshiba satellite l505-es5018 that was having virus issues and was incredibly slow. I reformatted and installed windows 7 32-bit, and had everyone working perfectly with exception of the audio. I have the red "X" over my volume control and the "No audio output device is installed". Device manager has nothing about sound/audio card, and i have no options in CMOS for turning my integrated sound on or off. Also, there is no sound through headphone or external speakers.
Ive downloaded countless drivers from toshiba, realtek, and other software. And ave gone so far as to take the machine apart and check the connections.
Any help on what this could be? Busted audio components on motherboard? 32-bit windows 7 not compatible?
Any help would be great.

Have you run Windows Update until there are no more found? My search pointed to Windows 7 64-bit. Why 32 bit for yours?

Try Windows update as suggested. If still a problem

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

What was the previous OS before the format? I'd check for devices with yellow question marks in device manager. Possibly just the audio driver isn't available. You might just need to google for Win7 drivers for your audio (check the laptop manufacturer site first). Otherwise it might be dead or disabled in bios.

Judging from the specs I see on my google search, it should have drivers available. Just a question of finding them - assuming the audio is not broken.

Try Windows update as suggested. If still a problem

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report

• Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Hi Darth Shiv,

I am having the same problem and did the steps you instructed above (I feel like I've tried everything, reinstalling RealTek, disabling and then enabling, deleting it and having windows update the software). This is what the System Information told me:

NameRealtek High Definition Audio
ManufacturerRealtek
StatusError
PNP Device IDHDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0268&SUBSYS_103C30CC&REV_1000\4&257318AE&0&0001
Driverc:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhda.sys (6.0.1.5869, 2.26 MB (2,366,752 bytes), 6/9/2009 10:13 AM)

NameUnimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
ManufacturerMicrosoft
StatusError
PNP Device IDMODEMWAVE\0\{91DBFB57-0F21-48DC-821A-5EB3EC5829A6}
Driverc:\windows\system32\drivers\modemcsa.sys (6.0.6001.18000, 18.00 KB (18,432 bytes), 6/10/2008 9:08 AM)
Any assistance would be so greatly appreciated
My Best,

Lauren

@Lauren G

If you'd like assistance, please go back to the instructions from the earlier post. Please reply with the list of msinfo32 Problem Devices and an unedited copy of your dxdiag report.

I followed the instructions and this is what I got

High Definition Audio ControllerPCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4383&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_00\3&2411E6FE&2&A2This device cannot start.

Hi
I have the same problem with my laptop toshiba satellite l500d long time now.
my sound card stops working for no reason.I cant find it anywhere.its not in the device manager and not in the problem devices.sometimes its just fix itself alone with no reason at all but now it stop responding.
I trye everything but I cannt understand!
the laptop is in a very good condition and I make all the updates.
can you help me?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    28 KB · Views: 1
Now, while the sound isn't working, look in DevIce Manager under Sound. Do you see your sound card listed? Take a screen shot (or jot the names) of the devices you see.

Now locate the High Definition Audio Controller under system devices. Right click->Uninstall. Reboot. Do you see any different devices listed? Does your sound work now?

This I say I cant find it anywhere not in the device manager not in my system at all!when I open my laptop it doesn open quickly it freezes in the start up screen where it says I can press the f2 for the bios and after 10 or 15 minutes it open.
so the windows start bu with no sound!
I look in the device manager and it have only my ati hdmi audio that is for the output!but not my relatek high definition anywhere!
the funny thing is that it worked before and it just stops!after some time it got back again!but now for many days it doesn exist anywhere

Press F2 for BIOS and look at all the BIOS options. Is there any there for onboard sound? If so, make sure it's enabled.

Each sound card has its own high defintion audio controller. And I only see one sound card in your DxDiag report. (You'll find it listed under System Devices in DevMgr). I would expect two if both sound card hardware is working on turned on in BIOS.

So if not a BIOS option AND you only have one HD audio controller under System Devices, I would guess it is intermittent hardware failure and the onboard sound card is bad :(

In bios I dont have nothing and now in device manager after lots of experiments I found the sound card but if I enable it my speaker in the taskbar it still with a red x.so if I update the soundcard I get a blue screen wich say I have a problem.I think you are right maybe I have a problem with the soundcard.
if you can think of something else please let me know thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
Back