Laptop not detecting HD

Jace0207

So my nephew dropped something on the corner of his mom's laptop. She said it started making a funny noise so she shut it down and rebooted. Now it won't boot up and she gets a message saying " No bootable device". I went into the BIOS and under Hard Drive it says "None". I took out the HD and the put it back in, but that did nothing. Any advice? I am thinking the HD is just dead, I already ordered a new one. I wanted to stop by here and see if any one had any ideas so she could recover here data though.

If it's physically damaged which it sounds like there's not much you can do other than pay a service to recover the data in a clean room which is very expensive. Do you hear the drive spinning? Is it making any clicking noises?

After installing the new drive you should talk to them about the benefit of having a working backup.

Yeah I know if the drive is physically damaged then she is out of luck. I also told her about data recovery services and how ridiculously expensive they are. I was just hoping for some other ideas to try in case it isn't a hardware problem. I tend to think it is though because of the weird sound she said she heard. Not sure if what she heard was clicking though. There is a faint clicking when it tries to boot up now. Something else which points to hard drive failure.

Back